Chapter 1

"Gwen! Gwen!" I shouted, running up to her limp body. I ripped off my mask as tears were forming in my eyes. I cupped her face in my hands and stared at her closed eyelids. "Stay with me, Gwen! Gwen, please, please stay with me!"

She was still. I was panicking. I placed my shaky fingers on the side of her neck, feeling for a pulse. Nothing. She was gone.

I sobbed, bawling my eyes out. She was gone. I rubbed my fingers over her cheeks the way she has always liked it. And then a miracle happened.

In the corner of my eye, I saw her chest move. She was breathing...slowly. I touched her neck again, and there was a pulse. It wasn't healthy, but it was there.

"Gwen!" My tears fell faster. She might make it. "Stay with me, Gwen. I know you're still in there. Please, please stay with me." She remained still, but alive.

After I was sure that she wouldn't wake up without medical assistance, I decided to take her to the hospital. Her neck was broken. It was a miracle that she was still alive, but one small jolt and she could be gone. I made a sturdy neck brace for her out of webbing. I put my mask back on and carefully picked her up. I then swung slowly to the nearest hospital.

---

I don't usually stop and talk to people for long periods of time while I'm Spider-Man, but this was different. I had to explain the accident, although I changed it a bit.

The story I told was that Gwen was a random civilian who wanted to help, because I didn't want to reveal my identity. Then I left, before someone decided to chase after me. A few minutes later, I came in as Peter Parker, Gwen's worried-sick boyfriend. I was asked questions by the same person I talked to as Spider-Man, like if I knew about the situation before it happened. I said that I did not, and I wasn't there. I finally was allowed to visit her.

Gwen was still unconscious, in a coma. I sat beside her bed, watching her chest rise and fall, and listening to the steady, now healthy beeps of her heart monitor. I remembered seeing on the internet that people can hear you when they're in a coma. I decided to talk to her.

"Hey Gwen," I said. "You're going to be okay. I love you, Gwen...and I'm really sorry about what happened." I looked up from her beautiful face to see Captain Stacy standing beside her hospital bed, formed by my imagination. He was right. She almost died...and it was my fault. I almost failed to save her, and she was already hurt.

I am so selfish. I knew Gwen was in danger, but I brought her back into it, again. I did it because I was being selfish, not because loved her. I do love her, and I need to keep her safe. She loves Peter Parker more, but I will always be Spider-Man. I will always make enemies. I will always endanger the ones I love. I can't keep it from happening, unless I stay away from her. With great power comes great responsibility.