1

"Don't be nervous bra..."

"I'm not nervous."

"You can't be nervous yo..."

I walked over to the front of the room. It was a Tuesday. There he was. Dr. Spin. He was one of the top producers in the city. It was my cousin Eddie that had got me in front of the guy. We were in his building in midtown Atlanta. I knew other rappers would have killed to be in the position I was in now. Luckily my cousin Eddie was always close to me and he believed me in. He worked at a club where he knew some guy who knew Dr. Spin. Eddie had followed the guy around the club for hours until the guy finally agreed to set up a meeting with Spin. I had waited all my life for this minute. Dr. Spin was looking at me with his boys in the room. It hadn't been my first meeting. I had meeting after meeting.

I stood up in front of them.

"So you gonna spit for us?" he said, "Or you just going to stand there?"

I had spent my life trying to rap. I had spent my life for this minute. It was a dream that was finally coming true. I turned to where I saw Eddie. Eddie had his thumbs up.

"Ya'll got a beat?"

"No beat. Make this fast. We got shit we gotta do."

"Ok this is going to be kind of inspired off Lauryn Hill's Killing me Softly."

"Man. Hurry the fuck up."

"I see you bought to steal my heart theif, go 'head do you

His wits keep you guessing, his random thoughts and suggestions/

Mouth blessed, his tongue some sort of spiritual or godly possession//

Raising a God blessings, he singing to me with no requesting//

Killing me softly? More like swinging from a ball he straight wreckin//

Every accented word in his song is like some sort of lifelong lesson//

He strumming his art, every note is a light to spark, a heart to heart//

Till Doctorates of Biological Art couldn't tell our bodies apart//

No matter how smart, this feeling ain't no waitlist and won't be dismissed//

I no longer wait on the bliss, before I hear his words...I've already been kissed//

The looks in the room didn't seem all that amused. I turned to see Dr. Spin. He was just quietly watching me. He was an attractive guy. Brown skin. Not trying to sound gay or nothing like that but he had swag. He was one of those intimidating type dudes.

"Man what kind of gay ass shit was that? Was he talking to a dude?" one of the guys in the room said.

I immediately regretted the words I had been saying. My flow was on point. I thought it would be something unique but it was clear they didn't get the rhymes I was spitting. I just stood there looking stupid as they looked on at me.

"Look, I got other stuff," I told them, "I sent you my mixtape..."

"What's your name kid?" Dr. Spin said.

"I'm Gotti Daniels."

"Gotti, you realize you just came in here and spit some lowkey homo shit right? Who is this he that you keep referring to?"

"It's not even like that," I said raising my head, "I got a girl. I was just trying to put myself in the eyes of Lauryn Hill in the song Killing me Softly. She's being sung to by a guy playing his guitar in front of a crowd. I thought it would be creative..."