Chapter 1

Chapter 5 of this story will be dark, and is important to the plot of the story. Please be sure to remember this.

...

I was humming along to a song that played smoothly in the kitchen as I scrubbed off the counter tops. Mom wouldn't be home for another three hours. I was glad to be alone this summer, to have my own space. It gave me time to think about things I normaly wouldn't think about. Which was nice, I guess. At least I'm not being annoyed by the loud idiotic kids from school. Though I did miss (f/n (friend's name)), (ima make them a she for easier writing) she had gone to visit her grandparents in a town not far from here. She had a car, which made me envious of her, since my parents didn't allow me one. She couldn't visit back here because the entire reason she was there was to take care of her grandparents. I asked Mom if I could visit her, but Mom said that town was really dangerous. That made me wonder why (F/n)'s grandma was there in the first place.

The song ended, along with my humming. I wondered which song would play next. Though, I'd most likely know the lyrics. All I seem to do is listen to Pandora, memorizing all the lyrics that came out of each song. Just as a new song started to play, my phone buzzed, causing the song to become quiet. I dropped the rag that was in my hand and approached my phone. I peered at the screen. New message from Mom. I unlocked my phone and tapped the message to find out what my mom had texted me.

Hi (Y/n), can you go pick up something for desert? I want to surprise your father, and work is running a little late. I heard a bakery opened up near us, check it out for me and see if it's any good. There should be money in the piggy bank by my bed.

I finished wiping down the counter I was on, paused Pandora, got money from the piggy bank, and left.

I quickly found the bakery, as its colors seem to pop out and shine from the other duller buildings. I walked in, the colors only seemed to be brighter. The walls were a light shade of pink, some were striped with a turquoise that really made the walls dazzle. The floor was tiled with a darker pink and white, and they were very clean. I could tell by how much it glossened with my movement and the light's reflection. The furniture consisted of patterned cushioned arm chairs, varying from yellow and baby blue diamonds to dark pink with a magenta forming squiggles. They sat either by or in front of round tables, each table had a different top to it, though most were just plain colors, while the legs to the tables were white.

"Hello poppet~"

The man behind the display of deserts caught my attention from the colorful room. He himself seemed to match the room quite well. His outfit was also very colorful, it seemed to reflect his personality. "Did you decorate this yourself?" I questioned, quite intrigued by my surroundings.

"Indeed, do you like it?"

"It's very... eye catching," I said, mostly at a lost of words.

"That's good to hear!" the man giggled while smiling a huge smile. It almost reminded me of the Cheshire cat from Alice in Wonderland. "Anything specific you're looking for today, poppet?"

Poppet was a strange word. I've never really heard that before, especially being called it. I'm not sure whether it was a compliment or just distaste, but his tone made it seem as more of a compliment. I thought about his question. Now that I think about it, I don't really know what my dad likes. I wondered over to the glass case the colorful man was behind that displayed many different sweets. Though, most were welly decorated cupcakes. Each cupcake seemed delicately hand crafted and designed. It was obvious cupcakes were this man's strong suit. That being said, they must be the ones that taste the best. But which flavor does my dad prefer? I know mom likes chocolate, so maybe dad does as well. "How about... two chocolate cupcakes and a (favorite flavor) cupcake (If your fav flavor is chocolate just read three chocolate cupcakes), please."