Baby, It's Cold Outside

His Christmas parties have always been known for their grandeur, but experiencing them for myself for the first time: Its beginning to feel like a sensory overload. All my life I have kept to myself; a quiet wallflower in a town full of social butterflies. I was perplexed at his personal invitation and anxious, almost to the point of nausea, leading up to tonight.  I almost turned around before I knocked on the door but he opened it and welcomed me in before I could leave.  Throughout the night he has been by my side keeping all the gossip away. I could feel their glances but it didn’t matter when he was shining his spotlight on me. There was delicious food, drinks, dancing, and so much fun. But now, now that most of the guests had left, it was just him and I standing in the side room. He goes to the old record player by the bar and soft music begins to play.

“I really can’t stay.”
“But baby, it’s cold outside.”

My coat is my comfort zone, but it feels like it’s on the other side of the world and not just in the next room. Two rooms away I can hear the clinking of the crystal glasses, the clanging of the silverware, and the soft murmuring of voices.

“This evening has been… so very nice.” I can’t help but feel the small spark of electricity as his warm hands take mine. He is just so lovely. Handsome, kind, generous.

“I’ll hold your hands, they’re just like ice.” My hands feel small in his.

His eyes are hypnotic; the color of a white pine shimmering with a fresh dusting of snowflakes. His cologne is evocative; warm and woodsy. I am beginning to understand why all the girls swoon over him. All the other damn girls. That’s what it all comes down to. That and the fact that I’ve never been touched, or romanced, or kissed. I must keep reminding myself to keep my head but his seduction is beginning to affect me. He is standing far too close  to me.

“My mother will start to worry.” I feel his strong arms wrap around my waste.

“Beautiful, what’s your hurry?”
“My father will be pacing the floor.”

   He pulls me towards the fireplace, further away from the other rooms. The warmth I feel is coming from both the fireplace and from where his arms embrace me.

“Listen to the fireplace roar."

I just know my cheeks are the same red as my dress and I need to cool down. “So really, I’d better scurry.” My drink is just out of my reach.

“Beautiful, please don’t hurry.”

   His eyes are pleading me to stay with him. More sparks of electricity flow as he grabs the glass out of my hand. “But maybe just a half a drink more.”

“Put some records on while I pour.”

Breathing comes easier when he’s not standing next to me.  His back is to me, maybe I can slip away.

“The neighbors might think.” The door is a few paces away.

“Baby, it’s bad out there, no cabs to be had out there.”
   His response so close to my ear makes me jump. He closes the door and hands me my glass and it’s filled with a dark red liquid. I sip it lightly in the hopes that it will ease my jitters. It’s a nice wine, but the aftertaste is bitter. “Say, what’s in this drink?”
   Before I know it, I can see the bottom of the class when I take my last sip. He comes close to me again and I start feeling the effects of the wine.
“I wish I knew how to break this spell.” He takes the empty glass out of my hand and embraces me again. We start to sway to the soft music. He moves us further into the room and I can’t help my bubbles of laughter as he spins and dips me. That wine is making my head fuzzy. I seem to lose track of time while we’re dancing and before I know it I’m exhausted.
“Your eyes are like starlight now. Let me take your hat, your hair looks swell.”

   He brushes my hair out of my face and gently pushes my beret off my head.  He leans in for a kiss.  “I ought to say no sir.” He catches my cheek instead of my lips.

“Mind if I move in closer?” His arms tighten as I try to move away.

“At least I’m gonna say that I tried.” I can feel my resolve soften.

“What’s the sense in hurting my pride?” He smiles and holds me closer. It feels wrong though.

“I really can’t stay.”

“Oh baby don’t hold out.” His grip is beginning to hurt.

“I simply must go.” My arms feel like Jell-o when I try to push him away.

“But baby, it’s cold outside.” His eyes are glinting like steel in the firelight.
“The answer is n-“

“But baby, its cold outside.”

“Your welcome has been… so nice and warm.” Diplomacy is only getting me so far, I need to get out of this room.

“How lucky that you dropped in.” He leads us to the window, “look out the window at this dawn.” Has it really been that long?

“My sister will be suspicious,” I plead. “My brother will be there at the door.” I faintly struggle as he dips his head down. One of his hands holds my head in place as his lips crash onto mine. His mouth is insistent and It’s not long until the kiss deepens. I have no energy to fight him off anymore.

“Gosh your lips are delicious; waves upon the tropical shore.”

“I’ve got to get home.” The tears I’ve been holding back begin to fall.

“But baby, you’ll freeze out there.”

“You’ve really been grand but don’t you see? There’s bound to be talk tomorrow; at least there will be plenty implied.”

“How can you do this thing to me? Think of my lifelong sorrow if you got pneumonia and died.”

“I really can’t stay.” I try one last time to get out of his grip but he holds tight. I begin to slip into the darkness of a drug induced sleep. The last thing I remember is his terrifying steeled eyes and his threatening voice.

“Get over that old out, baby, it’s cold outside.”