Bento

DISCLAIMER: All rights reserved. No part of these pages, either text or image may be used for any purpose other than personal use. Reproduction, modification, storage in a retrieval system or retransmission, in any form or by any means, electronic, mechanical or otherwise, for reasons other than personal use, is strictly prohibited without prior written permission.  

Bento/Obento = Home made lunch box, Japanese word

All mistakes - grammar, plot, characterization, spelling - are mine. This is not beta'd. Kindly let me know as I always want to improve.

Request from BasilSing on AO3

**********

The team is getting restless. They don't know what/who has put their rude chief of CSI, Zhao Yun Lan in a good mood. He has been on cloud nine for the past month.

The team notices that he doesn't have stomach issues anymore, that's probably one of the major reasons. But Zhao is not a person who can take care of himself. Their suspicions that he must have gotten a girlfriend/boyfriend - yes, they know that the chief is bi - increase.

Even the new comer, Ye Zun is intrigued.

The team members have been together for nearly four years. Of course, they know each other like the back of their hands. That's how they know about Zhao's stomach issues and him being bi.

That's not the only clue either. Zhao has been missing during lunches unlike his usual reckless 'missing lunch' behavior. He actually goes out and comes back happy and full - yes, it clearly shows, understanding behavioral clues are very important in their line of work.

Other times, he disappears into his office, closes his blinds and locks the door and the smell of delicious food can be felt by everyone.

Lin Jing had fixed a camera once and they had seen the chief with a Bento, a home made Bento of all things. It was artfully packed with care and love. The food items inside had made the team members' mouth water. It had fluffy omelet, rice, salmon, prawns along with cucumber, cherry, salad and dark chocolate.

Some were in the form of hearts, some were in the form of octopus, bunny, bear, kitten and other cute animals. Who would love the grumpy Zhao so much to take the pain of doing something like this? Does Zhao know that he is being treasured? Zhao is actually happy with such cheesy gestures? He must really like the other party.

But before that, the first thought of the team was that, all of them wanted to get their hands on the Bento, they want to desperately taste it. They had been so jealous of Zhao's face which rarely looks so relaxed, happy and content. That was the expression of a man who is in heaven because of food!

Zhao rarely eats properly, he joins the team only once a week. Believe them, the team has tried. They are glad that he is finally eating properly but they are curious as hell. Yes, they can't keep their noses to themselves when it comes to each other. They are more of a family than just work colleagues.

Chu and Hong are the strict uncle and cool aunt, Lin Jing is the geeky elder brother, Da Qian is the normal younger brother, Zun (the new comer) is the mischievous middle sibling - yes, the team already likes him, he has wiggled his way somehow into their hearts. Guo, Wang and Sanzan are the innocent children and yes, Zhao is their dad. They are missing a mom though and it looks like they will finally get one, soon enough and they can't wait!

They will meet Zhao's other half soon even if Zhao doesn't want the other half to meet the team. Of course Zhao wouldn't want the meeting to happen because the team will ruin his image and reputation in front of the 'mom'. The team already approves silently.