The keys to the Kingdom

The godswood was a peaceful place, the smell of trees and the music of the river below filled the air. Elia spotted a flash of white between the trees' trunks. If the direwolf was here, her prey was close. Elia found Lady Bolton and her daughter, deep in conversation, under the heart tree. The girl was agitated.

"Ghost saw them! We have to..."

"You will do nothing. I will take care of it", Lyanna Bolton's rebuttal was sharp.

" But..."

Elia hesitated. She usually tried to avoid the woman but she had to know if she knew something about Rhaegar's plans.

Visenya saw her first and made a hasty bow. The mother and the daughter shared the Stark look: grey eyes and dark brown hair. The only trace of Rhaegar in the girl was his cheekbones and his talent for the harp.

Lyanna Bolton turned to face her. Elia could see she had surprised them. The Godswood was the perfect place to escape from prying eyes. And Lyanna Bolton often took advantage of it.

The lady recovered quickly and bowed to Elia. "Your Grace, may we take your leave?"

During their few encounters, the lady always respected courtesies. "No," said Elia, "I need to talk with you."

Lyanna Stark's eyebrows rose, behind her, her daughter looked apprehensive.

"Visenya, it's time for your dance lesson. You should go. And remember, I will do what's necessary," she said, her eyes fixed on Elia.
What was their conversation about? The girl tensed, ready to argue but her shoulders slumped and she left.

Once her footsteps had disappeared through the trees, Lady Bolton asked, "How I can help you, your Grace?"

Elia was blunt," Are you aware of what Rhaegar is preparing?"

"No, I only know he is missing small council's meetings and spends more and more time with this new priestess of R'hllor," her face was blank,"they seem to share the same interest in prophecies."

Elia studied her. So she was acquainted with Rhaegar's obsession. The gossips of the court didn't know what to make of the lady. She had been crowned Queen of Love and Beauty by Rhaegar at Harrenhal right in front of Elia. But she had run away with the son of one of her father's bannermen. It had not ended well.

Elia wasn't sure of what happened between her husband and Lyanna Stark at the tourney. Yet the woman had become Rhaegar's mistress after the death of her husband. Curiously, her husband's killer had been sent to the Wall at the same time.

"Do you know anything else?"

"No, his Grace does not share his thoughts easily. Ser Dayne might be more knowledgeable." Yes, and he had refused to answer her.

It was disappointing."I presume Rhaegar didn't speak to your daughter either". She had asked Aegon and Rhaenys but their father had not confided in them.

"If your husband had revealed anything to Visenya, I would know", Lyanna Bolton confirmed."You could ask Lady Melisandre."

Elia recoiled. The red priestess was no friend of her. She fed Rhaegar's lunacy. He was attracted to magic like a moth to the flames. But, of course, he would divulge his plans to a self-professed seer.

"She has powers," Lyanna Stark paused. "She warned me about someone and she was right."

The confession surprised Elia. Lady Bolton didn't strike her as superstitious.

People murmured that Elia should force Rhaegar to send her and her daughter away. Oberyn had suggested poison. But she knew her husband would never discard Visenya. His three heads of the dragon were too important to him. And Lady Bolton would not be easily parted from her daughter .