Prologue

En route to the International Science Base Camp

150 miles NE of Barrow, Alaska

My stomach sinks as the helicopters lift us up above Barrow. I'm not good with heights, like, at all. The only thing that keeps me from hyperventilating is the thought of seeing Aidan again. Chopper blades thunder in the air. Part of me wants to take in the breathtaking scenery below us, but I have to close my eyes to keep from having a panic attack.

It's not just the heights. Last night at our motel in Barrow, I got a surprising email from mom.

Charity,

I don't know what to say. I'm so sorry for pushing you away. I should never have done that. It's been very hard, and I can't cope like I used to. But I'm working on things here living at Grandma Lynn's house, one day at a time.

I want to talk about what happened — with you, your brother Charles, and Aidan. Your dad refuses. And he's right. I need to communicate with you directly. I know you're angry. You don't even have to respond. I know you dropped out of Cornell. Please, baby, tell me what's going on? And what really happened to Aidan? I promise to listen this time.

Love you more than you know,

Mom

I was stunned. And mad as hell. She sends an email out of nowhere after months of nothing? The visual silence of snow stretching towards the horizon reminds me of how it felt when she shut me out. Forever cold.

One day at a time. But maybe she really is getting sober and is ready to face what's happened. I don't even know if AA and that stuff even works, but those few words give me a flicker of hope. Maybe someday, somehow she and Dad can even get back together. But they can't if she doesn't face the truth about what happened on that Christmas.

So, I replied to her email. I think about the words as the helicopter pilot points out the lone polar bear below, hunting for seals on the breaking ice. I'm in total awe. I can only imagine how thrilled Judy and the others are seeing a real live polar bear.

But those words to my mom weigh on me. That email might be the last time I communicate with her...

Mom,

You're right, I'm totally pissed. You bailed on me and then shut me out when I needed you most. I know you love Charles. But please realize that on Christmas Eve, I was the one trying to save your life. ALL of our lives.

Here's the truth for the last time. Take it or leave it.

Remember when I told you how Aidan said his abusive dad was this successful industrialist from "the north" that everyone loves?

The truth is that Aidan's dad is St. Nicholas, aka Santa Claus or just The Klaas. But St. Nicholas is like Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. His alter ego is Krampus, the monster that punishes bad kids at Christmas, whipping them and throwing them in his sack to take them to Hell. Except there is no hell, just a fortress somewhere in the Arctic. Santa and Krampus are the same person, and he can change at will. But because Aidan's father is evil, he's always Krampus.

Someday, when Aidan's father dies, Aidan will inherit the powers of The Klaas and he'll decide which one he is. You and I both know what that will be.

His siblings, the "elves," aren't exactly the cherry-cheeked elves we see on TV. They're those horrifying, goat-sloth creatures whose corpses filled our living room Christmas morning after the battle. Mom, Aidan fought against his own family to save us. That's how much he loved us.

Speaking of siblings, despite what you might think, everything that happened is Charles' fault. EVERYTHING. If he hadn't sent that letter to "Santa," Aidan's dad would have never known where we were. Leo would have never been killed. You heard the threats yourself when we visited Charles at the detention center — if Aidan had run, we'd all be dead, including you and Dad.

Aidan's dad probably let Charles escape prison on Christmas as a reward for snitching. Charles was terrified of Aidan and wanted to be sure that Aidan was nowhere within reach. Boy, did he succeed! Honestly, you have no idea how incredibly smart Charles is. So stop worrying about him. He'll be fine.

Just know that Aidan surrendered and let his dad take him back home to "the north" in exchange for our lives. He's no doubt being tortured for running away. Maybe worse. It's as true today as when I told Dad over a year ago: I love Aidan. I know you love him, too. And we're going to get him back.

I just hope it isn't too late.

Love,

Charity