prologue

Peter Kavinsky, well known as just, Kavinsky. He was every girl's high school crush. He is every girl's high school crush. A hot jock. A lacrosse player. The captain of the lacrosse team. A harmer. A sentimental person. A very sentimental person. Former boyfriend of the high school bully, Genevieve.

Genevieve was my best friend, that was a girl, up until seventh grade. That was when i kissed Peter during a game of spin the bottle at my birthday party. Me and Kavinsky had been best friends since kindergarten. Then he started dating Gen, in ninth grade. That's when me and him stopped talking properly. A 'hi' when walking past each other in the hallway and in Chem class was all the interaction we had had for the past two years, up until last week.

I received a note from him, it read:

'Dear LJ,

I don't know if you want me calling you that seeing as we haven't spoken in ages and I don't think you consider me as a friend. That's why I am writing to you. First of all, I am so sorry for leaving you when me and gen got together. It has been eating me up inside for so long and all I wanted to do was talk to you, Talk about how life is and reminisce on the good times we had when we were much younger. You were always like a sister to me, and it hurt that Gen made me choose between you or her. I loved her, but you? You were like family. You always have been. You always will be. I wish I realized the huge mistake I had made, sooner. I know it's been two years since we last spoke properly; however, I really hope that doesn't mean we can't go back to the way it used to be. Before everything happened with Gen. Can I take you for a soda or a shake at that café you like? I remember how much you loved it there. Let me know. I'm hoping we can be friends again.

Love your handsome, older, sort of brother, PK

P.S. I thought your 'vintage' style boots were cool ;)'

Gen had left him. She made him stop being friends with me. I could tell he was hurting. He would sit alone at a lunch table at one o'clock in the afternoon, every day, reading a book. He puts on a tough front. Not many people recognized it, but I did. After being friends with him for nearly nine years and despite not talking to him for two, I still knew him. Probably better than anyone. I just wish it wasn't so hard for me to confront him, because I don't want to lose him again or be pushed away again. The more you let people in and out of your life, the more chances you have of getting hurt. I know he wanted to be no more than friends, but I didn't know how I was going to be able to handle that, if I of all people, had begun to develop a crush on him. That's when I decided I was going to send him so called 'love letters'.