prolouge

"Hey Sarah, I'm leaving early today. I have to pick up Frankie from basketball. Can you lock up the place?" I ask Sarah, my new secretary.

"Of course Mr. Irwin, have a great night," Sarah replies.

"Thank you Sarah, but remember, you can call me Ashton," I remind Sarah with a small smile.

"Yes, of course," she stumbles.

I push open the big glass doors and walked out into the warm spring day. The cool breeze blows my hair out of place and I push it back in its proper spot.

I walk over to my car and unlock it. I check the time on his phone. It's 4:45; Frankie's practice had just ended and I am behind time, again. It can get really chaotic working at the record company.

I start the car and begin driving.

It's been 16 years since the band broke up. The rest of the boys are off living with their wives and children. But for me, it's just Frankie and I. I'm so glad I have him. He reminds me so much of her, he's got her eyes.

Those emerald green eyes that I fell in love with as soon as I saw her.

I am awaken from my day dream by the sound of car horns honking. I zap back to reality and continue driving to Frankie's school where his basketball practice was being held. When I arrive at the school, I park my car and wait for Frankie to come outside. Suddenly I see a mop of messy brown hair, much like mine but darker, walking over to the vehicle. It's Frankie alright.He approaches the car and gets in.

"Hey Frankie, how was practice?" I ask.

"Fine, I'm just really hungry," my 16 year old son replies.

"Okay, let's get home and make you some food then," I say.

The 10 minute drive is filled with silence, the only thing that can be heard is the faint sound of the radio.

We arrive home. I make my way to the kitchen and begin to prepare dinner. Frankie goes downstairs to change out of his practice clothes.

I finish making the grilled cheese sandwiches and I call Frankie upstairs for supper. We sit down in silence eating our sandwiches. I keep notice Frankie looking over at the picture on the wall.

The one of his mother.

He placed his fork on his plate and just silently sits there for a minute or so, just staring at the pictures.

"What was mom like?" Frankie asks.

I am taken back by his question. Frankie never talks about his mom, let alone talk. He's always been shy, his whole life.

"Well she was beautiful, kind, and smart. But she's gone now, Frankie," I say, hesitantly.

"Yeah, I know. I know she's dead. I know she's beautiful, kind and smart. That's what you always say. I don't wanna be told things I already know. I want to know what she was like. Like what her favourite colour and bands were. I want to know everything that happened from the moment you met her, until the second she died. Everything,"

I am surprised by what he says. I am not sure what to answer.

"Oh um, okay," I stutter, "Actually no, you're right. You deserve to know everything that happened. I think it's long overdue," I say.

"Okay, tell me now. I want to know," demands Frankie.

"Okay, but remember son, I'm only telling you this because life can do terrible things...."

___
Hey guys it's been a while! I'm finally publishing a new story, yay! So it's gonna be based off of the song Terrible Things by Mayday Parade, if you haven't heard it yet I recommend you listen to it. Anyways hopefully you guys like it and it doesn't suck too bad! xx