IMAGINE: Francis and you falling in love

You're walking past the open doors to the throne room when you hear your father's voice calling out to you. "Y/N! Come here for a minute!"

You take a deep breath and then back track. "What is it, father? I was just about to—" You stop when you see King Francis of Scotland, staring at you. His eyes widen slightly and his jaw goes slack. You blink back your surprise and then belatedly curtsy.

"My lord Francis." You murmur.

"Francis, this is my daughter, Y/N, the crown princess of Ireland." Your father says proudly.

Francis walks over to you and kisses your hand, sending shivers racing down your spine. "It's a pleasure to meet you, Y/N." He smiles.

You smile back at him. "The pleasure is all mine, my lord."

"Francis is here because his ship was damaged in a storm off the coast. He's going to be here for a while until his ship can be fixed." Your father explains.

"Oh, well, I'm sorry for the damaged ship; but I hope you enjoy your stay here in our beautiful country." You smile at the handsome young king.

"Well, yes, Y/N, that's what I wanted to talk to you about. I was hoping you'd keep King Francis company while he's here in Ireland. You know how busy I am during this time of year. I was hoping you could show him around and what not." Your father smiles at you.

Your heart starts beating rapidly. "Of course." You sigh softly.

———

     You give Francis a tour around the kingdom the next day. Now you're both walking the grounds of the castle. "So, my lord—" You start.

Francis holds up a hand. "Please, just call me Francis."

"Okay, Francis." You amend. "What brought you out to the Irish Coast?"

"Uh, just business." He answers briefly. You look at him, your eyebrows furrowing. "Actually, that's not entirely true." He sighs. It was a woman."

"You're in love with her? Does she live in Ireland?" You ask curiously.

He shakes his head. "No, no. I was in love with her. Deeply in love with her. But...she married someone else. My step-brother actually."

Your eyes widen. "How awful." You murmur.

He sadly smiles at you. "I went out sailing to...mend my heart. I needed a break from everything for just a few days. Then that storm came out of nowhere and wreaked havoc on my ship. It completely thwarted my plans to be back home soon."

"Perhaps you'll find solace here in our green country." You smile encouragingly at him.

He looks at you, the wind tugging at his blond hair. "That's what I'm hoping." He answers softly.

———

     Over the course of a week, you show Francis around and keep him company. You really enjoy being in his presence. He's fun and treats you nicer than any king—besides your father—has treated you. You really like him. Perhaps too much.

One day Francis and you are walking along the steep cliffs. "Be careful, Francis. We've had way too many visitors fall to their deaths from stepping too close to the edge." You warn him.

He smiles and moves a little closer to you. "It's magnificent here. Truly. Everyone is so friendly and the scenery is absolutely beautiful." He gushes.