Gilderoy Lockhart - Chapter 1

Five weeks ago, your first year of Hogwarts ended. Giving you six weeks of freedom. Since your birthday was during the holidays, you were able to celebrate it anyway you wanted. So you decided to have a large party with all of your friends.
     You got lots of presents including strange but delicious flavours of tea, a gorgeous set of quills, multi-coloured ink and lots of other interesting presents. But your favourite was the Moontrimmer your parents got you. You were surprised they were able to get you one since the demand was so high but the creator - Gladys Boothby - never made enough. This made you feel even better about having since you knew no one else at Hogwarts would.

¤¤¤¤¤(Y/N)'s P.O.V¤¤¤¤¤

     It has been a few weeks since my birthday and have barely been off my new Moontrimmer. I can't wait to show it off to Potter and his Gryffindor friends. They'll be so jealous. But that would have to wait another week as the holidays hadn't ended quite yet.
     I got off my bed, walked down the two flights of marble stairs to the ground floor and walked into the drawing room. My brother, Rincewind, who was now in his sixth year at Hogwarts and was also a prefect and head boy for Slytherin, was already sat at the table, reading a letter. He noticed me walk in and chuckled to himself before speaking.
     'Afternoon. What time is it now? Must be at least twelve, I think that's the earliest you've gotten up all summer!' I chose to ignore my annoying brother as I sat down near him.
     'Morning, Rincewind,' I didnt care what time it was, I just woke up so it was still morning for me, 'Is that a letter from Hogwarts you're reading? Have you got mine?'
     'Yes, they're our supply lists. Here's yours.' Rincewind slid a letter over to me. It was yellow parchment and on the front there was my name and address in green ink. I was so happy to see what books I would need that I didn't even bother to read the letter that accompanied it.

Second-year students will require:
The Standard Book of Spells, Grade 2 by Miranda Goshawk
Break with a Banshee by Gilderoy Lockhart
Gadding with Ghouls by Gilderoy Lockhart
Holidays with Hags by Gilderoy Lockhart
Travels with Trolls by Gilderoy Lockhart
Voyages with Vampires by Gilderoy Lockhart
Wanderings with Werewolves by Gilderoy Lockhart
Year with the Yeti by Gilderoy Lockhart

     'Who is this 'Gilderoy Lockhart' and why do his book titles sound like fantasy stories for muggle children?' I sneered as I put the letter down on the table and watched as my brother read his letter with the same confused face I had.
     'You were told to get all his books too then? I mean, I've heard of him but I didnt think he was this popular.' Rincewind said before getting up and stuffing the letter into his pocket. As he did, my mother walked in. She was very beautiful and tall with deep light green eyes and dark brown hair. I was quite different from her in a way that instead of being quite tall, I was quite small, being the smallest in my family.
     'Oh, morning (Y/N), I see you've already read your letter. I was hoping to take you to Diagon Alley today to buy your books. So go upstairs and get ready please. And, Rincewind, dear, your father will take you tomorrow so don't worry.' I nodded in response to her before going back upstairs to my room to get changed. I got dressed into a black jumper with a high waisted, green tartan skirt, dark green tights and black, chunky heeled shoes. Over the top, I wore my Slytherin cloak.

     I walked down stairs to find my mother already waiting for me by the door. She held out her arm and I held onto it as we apparated to Diagon Alley. Apparently the first time someone apparates they are usually sick, but I have never been. I've always found apparating quite normal and rather enjoyable, I couldn't wait to learn myself. When we could finally see our surroundings, we found ourselves outside of Flourish and Blotts. However, both me and my mother were surprised to see how busy it was. People were packed inside and more were crowding around the door to try and get in. My eyes were caught by a large banner across the top windows.

Gilderoy Lockhart
will be signing copies of his autobiography
MAGICAL ME
today 12:30 - 4:30pm

     'Well, it seems today will be a long trip. How about I wait in line to get all the books you need and you can go buy whatever you want.' My mother dropped a handful of galleons into my hand before she squeezed inside. I followed her in and walked up the stairs to the left of the shop to look at some books I'd actually want to read. Not these childish books from Lockhart. The shelves I looked through were so tall, the only way I would even be able to see what books were on the top shelf was to use a ladder. In the end, I picked out a few random books that looked interesting.
     'Picking out some books, I see.' Said a familiar voice from behind me. I couldn't help but smile as I recognised that voice as Draco Malfoy. A fellow Slytherin and a very close friend of mine. I turn around and smile at him.
     'Yeah, though I might go buy something else. I'd rather not wait in that line for just a few books.' I said as I put the books back and walked over to the railing to look over. As I did, I saw Potter, Granger and the Weasley family walk in and join the line. And of course, as soon as Potter was spotted everyone made a big deal. He was dragged to the front, got a picture with Lockhart then he was given all his books for free. I did find out that Lockhart will be my new defence against the dark arts teacher, which explains why almost all the books we need are by him.

  'Come on, I want to have a word with Potter.' Draco said to me as he walked down the stairs, picking up a book and pretending to read it. When Potter walked near him, he put it back, walked down the rest of the stairs and stood infront of him.

     'Bet you loved that, didn't you, Potter?' Draco said with a sneer. I joined him at the bottom of the stairs, glaring at Potter with a sly smile.
     'Famous Harry Potter. Can't even go into a bookshop without making the front page.'
     'Leave him alone, he didn't want all that!' A rather high pitched voice said, trying to defend Potter. I looked down to see Ginny Weasley, Ron's younger sister.
     'Potter, you've got yourself a girlfriend!' Said Draco. Ginny's face went deep red as she blushed from embarrassment.
     'Aww, look. The little Weasel has gone bright red! It must be true!' I scowled, looking up to see Weasley and Granger walk over.
     'Oh, it's you two,' Said Ron, giving me and Draco a very dirty look. 'Bet you're surprised to see Harry here, eh?'
     'More surprised to see you here, Weasley.' I replied.
     'I suppose your parents will go hungry for a month to pay for that lot.' Said Draco, obviously getting under Weasley's skin as his face suddenly went as red as Ginny's. He tried to run towards Draco but Potter and Granger held him back by the back of his jacket. Ron wouldn't have had the chance to do anything anyway as his father walked over seconds later.

     'Ron! What are you doing? It's mad in here, let's go outside!' Said Mr Weasley, trying to ignore the fact that Ron just tried to fight Draco.'

   'Well, well, well - Arthur Weasley.' I recognised this voice, it belonged to Draco's father - Lucius Malfoy.
     'Lucius.' Replied Mr Weasley, nodding coldly towards him. As both Draco's and Weasley's father's were talking, I spotted my mother walking towards the small crowd of people around me.

     'Come on (Y/N), I have all your books. Let's go look around Diagon Alley, shall we?' My mother said, carrying a large stack of books. I replied with a nod and waved to Draco as I left. I convinced my mother to let me buy some sweets from Sugarplum's Sweets Shop before we apparated home.