The big competition

Straddling the top board of the wooden fence Bonnie was watching her eleven-year old brother. Chad was working with his horse, Mingo, in the training ring her daddy had built. He had been very busy every day after school preparing for the Horse Show at West Palm’s Beach, which was in a month. It was a hot south Florida day. Almost every day was warm in the little town of Stuart, Florida. The Hyatt family moved to Stuart six years ago, after their father finished Veterinary School. Bonnie was born that same year.

Bonnie thought she was a very lucky girl. She had her dog, Nosey, and her cat, Kitty. She lived in a large ranch house, and she had lots of room to run and play. Her Father, “Doc” Hyatt, was the only Equine Veterinarian in the county. He was very well liked and respected for his knowledge of horses. People brought their horses from all over the state for him to treat. He treated the thoroughbred horses at the nearby training stables. “Doc” was the kind of veterinarian who kept up with all the latest knowledge about horses. He was always attending classes to learn new techniques and methods of treating the horse. He was the first veterinarian in the state to learn how to treat lameness in horses using acupuncture. He was an excellent diagnostician.

Only one thing would make Bonnie’s life complete. She wanted a horse of her own, that she could compete on in the horse shows. Her daddy promised that she could have a horse when she was seven years old. Until that time, she would have to be content riding Mingo whenever Chad was in a good mood and would allow her to ride his horse.

When Chad and Bonnie came home from school one day, Bonnie’s Mother said, “Bonnie, go to the barn, and see what Daddy brought home for you today.” The children raced to the barn. Daddy was standing in the doorway of the barn. He had a big smile on his face.

“Bonnie, I have a surprise for you “, he said. They followed him into a stall, and standing inside was a beautiful brown Quarter Horse mare. She was busy eating hay.

“Oh, Daddy,” Bonnie cried, “Is she for me?”

“Yes, Bonnie, it’s time you have your own horse. Her name is Lilly, and she is eight years old. She has a very good disposition, and she will be perfect for you.”

Bonnie began to stroke Lilly, and “Doc” could tell they were going to be great friends. Daddy had even brought home a new saddle, bridle, reins, and everything she would need for her new horse. Bonnie cried for joy! She hugged her Dad as hard as she could. Chad was pretty excited, too. He said, “Let me saddle her up so you can try her out!”

Bonnie was glad to have the help because she couldn't see too well with all the happy tears in her eyes. She just couldn’t believe that all this was happening to her. It was the happiest day of her life! When Chad finished getting Lilly ready, Bonnie climbed up onto her back, and onto the saddle. Daddy and Chad walked alongside just to make sure she would be safe. Lilly was a perfect lady. She was a well-trained horse.

The next few weeks were busy ones for Bonnie. Now, she had her own horse to get ready for the next Horse Show. There would be youngsters her own age competing. Every morning, she would get out of bed at least an hour earlier than usual. Bonnie wanted to have enough time to care for Lilly before school. Bonnie would feed her, brush her, stroke her, and talk to her. It seemed to Bonnie every day when she would brush Lilly, the horse’s belly was getting rounder, even larger. Bonnie mentioned this fact to “Doc”. He just shrugged and said, “Well, that’s because you are taking such good care of her, and feeding her well.”

The day before the big Horse Show, Bonnie went out to the barn to take care of Lilly. Usually, Bonnie would see her looking out of her stall anxiously waiting to get her breakfast. This morning, Bonnie couldn't see Lilly. Her heart stopped. Where could she be? Bonnie raced to the stall, and quickly pulled the door open. Lilly was standing in the far corner of the stall. A newborn foal was standing on wobbly legs beside her, nursing. Bonnie first thought she was dreaming. This can’t be!

“Oh! Lilly, You have a beautiful baby boy! I have to go and tell Daddy!” Bonnie raced to the house, yelling, “Daddy, come quick! Lilly has a baby!”

Everyone came running to the barn to see what all the fuss was about. Chad was jumping around in his pyjamas; Mother was crying, and Daddy: well, he didn't look as surprised as the rest of the family. He just stood there, grinning from ear to ear.

“Doc” got his stethoscope and examined the foal. He said, “He’s a fine, healthy baby.”

Lilly looked as proud as any new Mother. Daddy said, “Well Bonnie, you wanted a horse, and now you have two!”

The next morning was competition day and Bonnie’s dad was packing the horses into the float to take to the beach side arena. Bonnie comes up and asks in a sad voice “how am I supposed to compete with Lilly when she just had a baby last night”. The dad did not respond and just got everyone in the car. When they arrived to the show it was stormy and the waves were crashing on the rocks fiercely. Bonnie got out of the car and her dad took her to the back of a float that she did not recognise. Out of now where a man came around the float with is beautiful gelding appaloosa, all tacked up ready to compete.  Bonnie ran and got her helmet; she jumped on the horse and competed the whole day.