Chapter 1 - The New Beginning

It was quiet. Even as the storm around them began to blow a strong gust of wind against the trees, there was silence. He did nothing but stare down while on his knees. As his arms cradled the girl he cried, but nothing broke the silence that surrounded them. The boy, begging with tears in his eyes. The girl, motionless and drenched in her own blood...

1 Year later

It was a warm spring day, in a field were every flower had bloomed. He laid in silence under a grand oak as he stared up in a daydream, listening just to the sound of the birds chirping and feeling the smooth breeze. He sat up and sighed as he pulled out a necklace from underneath his clothes. The necklace was a simple chain with a simple charm, however the necklace wasn't so simple to him. He put it back in place as he stood up and stretched his arms high, then relaxed. In the far distance he saw the academy that he was to attend to. The boy started to walk in a slow stride, to the front gate and looked up to the castle-like school that stood before him. As he got closer, he saw a sign on the gate that read "All First Years please make your way the Battle Hall for your Entrance Exam".

He made his way to the Hall, as he did he saw other who were attending as well. He walked into the Hall with his head down, but people didn't refrain from staring. Before them stood a tall young man with dark auburn hair and steel grey eyes though he covered them. He also had a stocky build and scars all over his body, however the most prominent was the scar across his neck. He wore a black trousers, a pair of old shoes that seemed quite expensive and a black t-shirt underneath a jacket which had the academy logo on it. The jacket seemed old and worn slightly as the silver and black colour had faded slightly.

"Mr Hotaro, am I correct? My name is Miss Tanaki" A tall slender woman walked up to him with a smile. She had long golden locks and wore a lab coat, and also held a check book with every ones name. "Y-Yes... Kuro Yami Hotaro..." he stuttered as he lowered his head more. She looked worried for a second however she shook her head and smiled again. Without saying a word she led Kuro to the side of the hall and told him to stay there. Miss Tanaki made her way to the middle of the Hall. She tapped her cheek and started to speak using a magic to turn her voice into a speaker.

"Good morning and welcome to Yōso Kunshu Academy, or also known as the Elemental Monarch Academy. I am Miss Tanaki, you're school nurse, one of your main teachers and your Head Mistress. As you all know, we have a record for producing the most respectable students and we want to live up to that. Now, as you're all aware, to get into this academy you must pass two tests. Number 1 is the Health Test, to see if you are able to participate in everyday school activity. Number 2 is the Fight Test where you will all have to take part in a fight, 1 against all, for the slots to enter the academy. Those who fail the Health test or fail in the matches will automatically have to leave the premises. When your name is called please come forward and we will do the Health Test... Now let's have a look... Mr Saito, you're up first!"

Kuro looked around and saw the young boy step out from the crowd and walk to Miss Tanaki. She placed her hand on the boys head and she smiled. "Well done, you're very healthy. Please make your way to the other side of the room please." The Saito boy did as he was told, and many more did after him. After about 6 names were called Kuro was called and his head hung low as people stared at him while he walked to the middle of the Hall. He looked up to see Miss Tanaki who smiled, and gently shook her head and whispered. "No need, I understand your condition and it would only blind my sight on your health, so don't worry about it ok." She smiled again as she pointed to the others who had passed. He walked over, and others who were close by started to give Kuro looks of disgust and terror.

"I heard he's a monster made by the North Cross association...", "He's a freak, I mean just look at him", "No way he's that strong, I bet his parents practically begged for him to get in", "Why didn't she do the test? I mean isn't that a cheat in a way?" Kuro stood by the wall away from the others as he heard them, wishing he could get everything over with. He hung his head low once again as more whispers and rumours passed him.

"Alright what the hell is this aye? Is this some sort of joke, I mean it has to be!" A young boy stood out from the crowd and walked towards Kuro. The boy pushed Kuro off the wall to get his attention however Kuro just walked away. "OI You bastard!" The boy ran to him and pushed Kuro to the ground. Kuro got back up and cleaned the dust off his shirt, which came from the floor. "Hey look! Tough guy over here wants to pick a fight!" The boy grinned as he continued to push Kuro around.

After he got bored he summoned his blade "Hail thy mighty, as those who disobey shall condone for their sin!" A blue spark appears as a magic circle appears in mid-air, with the handle of a sword poking out. The boy grabbed it and laughed as the sparks disappeared and the pointed the sword to the head of Kuro. "So tough guy, you really wanna fight me?!" Kuro's head lowered more as he hid his face from the boy. Kuro backed off slightly then turned around to walk away. "Tch, don't walk away and look at me when I'm talking to you!"

The boy grabbed Kuro who now lifted his head. The boy hesitated but dropped Kuro and backed off, holding his sword out in front of him. Kuro's face was now on display, showing multiple scars as well as the one on his neck. His eyes were uneven as one was steel grey and the other, pure white, only showing a pupil and the lining of where the colour was before. They were dull however Kuro's white eye has a pentagram on it. The boy grinned slightly but showed a little fear "What? You think you scare me?! What a load of bullshit!!!" Kuro shook his head slightly and tried to walk away again but the boy grabbed onto his shoulder. Suddenly in a split second there was a flash of light.

Everyone hid their eyes from the light, but when the light stopped they removed their hands from their faces to see that boy had somehow got to the other side of the hall and stuck in the concrete wall, while Kuro stood still looking away and sighed gently. Miss Tanaki rushed over to Kuro "What just happened?" She sounded worried and this made Kuro turn his head but had gone back to hiding his eyes. "Nothing..." He whispered. As Kuro walked outside, Miss Tanaki's face looked worried as she saw the unfortunate boy stuck in the wall.