A Pleasant Surprise

3 AM.

After hours of replying to those happy birthday texts and posts on Facebook, I thought I'd get some sleep. I plugged in my phone to charge and stared at the dark ceiling of my dark room. As I stared into the darkness I laughed at myself at the thought of celebrating birthdays. I started thinking that as every year passes by, as every birthday goes by, we get older, we celebrate, we also go by the day of our death without knowing, without realizing that one of these days in this year will be celebrated as my death anniversary. I smirked as I realized that with each passing year, death was creeping closer and closer.

"BZZ BZZ BZZ BZZZZ!!!" My phone went off at 6. I woke to my father's call. "Good thing dad called, I forgot to set an alarm", I murmured.

I receive the call and, "HAAAPPPYY BIRTHDAYYY NATHANN!!!", my parents shout at their highest. That sudden outburst totally woke me up. "Happy Birthday Dumbo. You're getting old grandpa", of course, my little sister. "Thankyou you little brat, no gifts for you when I return". "Okay SORRY, SORRY. Jeeez, chill out. I was kidding. Happy Birthday. My dear loving elder brother". "That's better. Now give the phone to mom and you go to school", I said. "Sorry I can't be there today mom, I have a presentation at work. Sorry", I apologized to my mother. "Don't worry Nate. Just have a good day and call us when you're back home. Okay sweety. Take care. Bye. We love you and Happy birthday again.", mom said. "Love you guys too. I'll call later. Bye".

I got up from bed and stretched out a bit. Took my towel and went in the bathroom. After a warm and relaxing shower I came out and changed into my suit. Glanced at the clock, 7:26. Grabbed the keys and headed out.

I hopped into my car and started driving down to my regular café. Parked my car outside the café and went in. "Happy Birthday Nathan!" A warm greeting from the staff. Got a bit extra on my coffee today. I thanked them and headed out. Coffee is something I can't start my day without or I might just faint. I parked at regular spot at my office parking. Finished the coffee and threw the cup in the trash, "A perfect throw, fuck, it's gonna be a great day!" I told myself as I walked towards my office.

And there it was that tall gray gloomy building. I had to look up to the sky to see how the building was. I walk in and see our famous and beautiful receptionist Alexa mouthing me "Happy Birthday" from her desk. I quietly say, "Thank you, sorry but I'm late. I'll catch up with you later" and wait for the elevator. I was always getting hit on by Alexa, but I manage to dodge her questions somehow. I mean she's good looking and stuff, but I have always seen a red warning sign on her face for some reason. But lately she seemed rather cool. I wasn't ready for anything yet because of my last intense breakup. It was really harsh and I still miss her.

"DING" the elevator opens and I go in and say "third floor", to the janitor. "Third floor" says the automated voice in the elevator.

I walk towards our working space and just as I slide open the door a roar of "HAAAPPYYY BIRTHDAYYY NATE!!!" greeted me. I was shocked and amazed. I never thought that I interacted with my co-workers enough to make them wish me like this. To my amazement even our grumpy and bitchy boss lady came over and said. "Happy Birthday Nathan. Keep up the good work and here take this. It's a watch, your present. NOW GET BACK TO WORK ALL OF YOU!! SHOW'S OVER!!" As I walk towards my desk I see it filled with flowers, cards and gifts. I sent them over to my car and start my happy day at work.

"Ahhhh, finally done!" I say yawning. After the long and tiring day at work I packed up and was about to head home when a hand grabbed my shoulders and said, "Now where do you think you're going? Daniel suggested we throw a little drinking party for your birthday. You're coming with us! Come on now, let's go" said Alexa. We headed out in groups and went down to the bar around the corner.

The drinking party got crazy in the spur of a moment. Everyone started drinking beers and taking shots. I took caution and just had two glasses of beer cause I had to drive back home. After a few hours of this fun madness we parted ways and headed home.

I got into my car and started off towards my house. The cold, windy, dark, starry and calm night was just perfect for a ride. I play my late night drive songs and go drive through the night. I realize the time I spent with my co-workers was really great. I missed doing something like for a while now. I smiled and thought that it was the best surprise that I got in a while.

I stop at a red light. All out of love by Air supply playing. I pushed my feet onto the accelerator as the red light turned green. But little did I know that the best surprise was still waiting for me.

Just seconds later, a bright white light filled my dark car slowly. Starting from the right to the left. I turn my head to the right just to see a massive cargo roaring down at me. Just a few seconds till collision, no way that I could get out of its path. Those few seconds felt like all eternity to me. I felt time slow down. Everything slowing down. I was suddenly remembering my fond memories of my childhood, of my family, of my little sister, of this night, of her and our dates, I thought that maybe this what people mean when they say, "Your whole life flashes in front of you when you die."

The blaring noise of the horn brought me back to reality, BAM! The glasses shattering and a few pierce in my skin. The windows breaking. I come to see that I'm flying across the sky. Falling down on the ground and rolling over for like six or eight times and my car comes to a stop. No one can recognize it as my car anymore. The roses are squashed and the gift boxes are smashed. Somehow the music still paying. All out of love.

I just lay down there feeling my soul slowly slipping out. I grin when I remember last night. When I said that with each passing birthdays and years death is creeping closer and we don't even realize. But if only I'd known that mine had creeped in so close just a bit sooner then I'd have done a few things differently. I would have visited my parents and my sister and said I loved them. I would have called her up and say, "I'm sorry. I miss you. Please come back?". I would have been there a bit longer and drunk a bit more with my co-workers. But eh, I don't regret much. My life was getting a bit anyways, good that it ended sooner.

I started laughing when I realized that my death anniversary and birthday will be celebrated on the same day. "That would save some money I guess" I said coughing.

Everything getting a bit blurry now. I see a shadow in front of me. Holding out its hand, reaching out for my soul. I look at his dark red menacing eyes. My half dead body gets chills. I figure out who it was. The scythe behind his back gave it all away. It was death himself waiting to take my soul.

I smile as I close my eyes finally feeling at peace. A moment later I see my own body laying in the smashed car. It looked so lifeless, so dead, so empty. I never thought a person can change so much without a soul.

I smiled at my resting body and mind and went off.

"Ahhh. A pleasant surprise indeed."

HEYOO GUYS! AUTHOR HERE, HOPE YOU GUYS ENJOYED THIS. PLEASE VOTE AND COMMENT IF YOU DID LIKE IT. AND ALSO WHILE YOU'RE AT IT CHECK OUT MY FRIEND Smolbean_Phan.

THANK YOU FOR READING THIS.

WILL BE BACK WITH MORE, STAY TUNED :)