October

Avery turned nineteen

AJ fought his attachment to the girl but with no success. He's still keeping it up for my sake. I don't know what to do.

Chloe and Adam plan wedding festivities. They're legally married but among all disturbances there was never time for a white dress and cake.

Madison and Ethan Amore were added to the short list of lives we care about four months ago.

Lives were lost four minutes ago.

I squeeze his arm, draw his attention away from his friend, the one who enrolled into our class, Nathaniel, from a C-state.

"I'll meet you at the apartment, Duke needs a ride from the gym."

"I'll go with Luke."

Their date worked. "Pizza before we leave?"

I nod, squeeze his shoulder, take out my phone to text Duke on my walk to the car.

b there in ten dont make me wait

I was there in twelve.

Duke wasn't.

Who was?

"Long time, sweetheart."

I was taken somewhere.

Three people.

Duke wasn't there but his dead mother was.

Beside her was my cousin, a blade in Chad's hand to her neck. "Your choice if we start with the standard greeting phrases or the apology I believe I deserve after you emptied half a magazine in me and left me for dead."

I used to wear guns in Manhattan. Had blades in my socks, still have marks on my feet from the wounds but I was safe. Muggers, murderers, rapists, rivals, no one stood a chance, I had wounds but I was safe.

Do I miss it? "I wish I could blame you for lacking common decency, but it is, in the end of the day, a mother's job to teach her child that."

"Why are you here?"

Why isn't she dead?

She isn't.

It doesn't matter.

Why aren't I dead? Why isn't anyone else?

Who will be?

Morgan you-

"My case and yours are very similar. It's ironic, you would've been my daughter, but since you weren't, Morgan raised you to be my daughter. Don't frown honey...."

She smiles, takes out another blade, runs it along Dakota's unbothered skin. "He raised strong women, he did.... Impressive, capable, strong, women. All other gangs whine about their women's rights and equality when they should've been taking notes from your father. Morgan was the only one whose women not only were equal to his men, but superior too. That's the real reason you would've never made leader sweetheart, your strength, not your weaknesses."