It was just a normal day..Until...

I wake up to the smell of bacon coming from downstairs. Mom always makes a big breakfast on the first day of school. I pull on jeans and a sweater, put my hair in a messy bun and run downstairs. "Bailey sweetie, I made you breakfast! Eat up, you need some meat on those bones." Mom says in her chipper voice.

 "Mom, I'm gonna be late for school." I retaliate. "Come on, it's the first day of school, you need brain food. I can't believe you're a junior, you're growing up too fast." She laughs and gives me a cheesy smile. 

"I'll take a piece of bacon, okay? I'm gonna be late, love you." I hear her say something as I walk outside, but I don't pay attention.

I've been dreading the first day of school. I only have one real friend, Jonathan. We met freshman year when someone tripped me and I dropped everything and spilled Starbucks on my shirt. He picked up my stuff and gave me his jacket to cover the stains. It seems like he's the only one that's nice to me at school. People are just...d-bags.

I walk outside, preparing myself for another bus ride from hell. However, I was saved by a beaten down old chevy. "Want a ride B?" Jonathan yells out his window. 

"Hell yes!" I walk around to the passenger side and jump in. "So, you ready for junior year?" He asks, wanting me to be as excited as him. "Not in the slightest. Why are you so happy?" Jonathan and I typically share the same melancholy attitude toward school. We were each wallflowers. "Ok so..." I settle in for some juicy gossip. "You know the new guy that moved down the street? Well, he is going to be in our class. He is so fine, and I hear he's gay. I'm gonna try to hit that." I start to chuckle. 

"You better not be thinking about cheating on me mister." I joke. We continue the car ride talking more about Jonathan's fantasy guy while blasting Britney Spears. Finally, we arrive at the godforsaken prison called a school.

I walk into the school and am bombarded by a wave of students and teachers welcoming in the new year. "Oh my god! Hey Bailey, you ready for junior year?" I see a blond hair girl wave at me from the student council table. Courtney Davis, student body president and captain of the cheer team. Begrudgingly, I walk to Courtney to receive my locker assignment and class schedule. 

"Ummm. I guess." I say in response to her question. "May I have my schedule please?" "Of course! Uh, just let me find it." God her voice makes me wanna die. I stand there awkwardly watching Courtney's high ponytail bounce and bounce. "Ah! Here it is! Locker 998. I hope you have an amazing first day!" I grab my papers and walk away with little more than a "Thanks" and a haphazard smile. 

My first class is American History. The perfect way to start the new year...not. I settle in my seat in the front row as I see my friend Evelyn sit next to me. "Hey!" She says as she unloads her school supplies. I begin to greet her too as our teacher Mr. Andrews makes his way to the front of the class. Automatically all the class realizes the somber look on his face. "I wish I could say that the first day of school is going to be great, but unfortunately I have some bad news." There is a pause while the class braces for the news. "Last night Mackenzie Anderson passed away." Mr. Andrews says bluntly. A gasp erupts from everyone in the class. Mackenzie, or "Kenz" as everyone called her was popular and seemed perfectly healthy. "What the hell happened?" Penny, one of Mackenzie's good friends asked hysterically. 

Mr. Andrews face grows even more somber, "Well, we do not have all the facts, but it seemed as though she killed herself." 

And from that day on, the school was forever changed.