Chapter 1

My room at this place is dull white; boring as fuck. All my belongings were stripped from me -- my bracelets, iPod, my belt, my phone; all gone, though, I had to sneak the trinity knot pendant that my older sister, Ariana, had given me just hours before her death.

​The death of the family member I loved most was traumatizing. I can't be bothered to get into that story now, though.​​​​ It's too painful to talk about.

​The necklace was given to me 3 years ago, when Ariana had come back from a field trip to Dublin. 

​​​​​​​​​"Guys, I'm back!" Ariana exclaimed as she walked into the door.

​"Ari!" I shouted with excitement, jumping off of the couch and running toward her, engulfing her into my tiny arms.

​"Hey, little man," she said. "I got a present for you when I was in Dublin!" She took out a tiny black box, opened it, and pulled out a necklace with a charm on it. 

​"Wow," I said in amazement. The charm was absolutely stunning -- I'm not that flamboyant, it was just a really pretty charm. "What is it?" I asked.

​"It's a trinity knot," she replied, moving to put the necklace around my neck. "The three rings represent things that you will always have from me - dead or alive."

​"What do you mean?"

​"See the first ring?" I nodded. "That first ring represents loyalty, which means ​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​that my faith in you being able to do whatever you set your mind to will never fade." 

​"And you see the second ring?"

​"Yeah?"

​"The second ring represents protection.​​​​​​​​​​​​ I will always be there for you. Don't be afraid to call me if you need me, okay?" I nodded. "And do you see the last ring, Lex?" I nodded once more.

​"The last ring represents love. Know that if we ever have a disagreement, aren't talking, or one of us has disappeared, or is dead, that I will always love you no matter what, Alex. You're my baby brother, not to mention ​​​​my best friend. I will always trust you, have faith in you, love you, and be there for you."

​​​​The necklace is just a part of her that I always need with me. Throughout the last 3 years, if I ever missed her, I would look at the pendant, and I'd smile, because in a sense, she was there. I know she's looking down on me, and she's probably disappointed in the person that I've become, but I can only try and get better. Really, I just want my sister back.

​I looked up to see a person standing in front of me.​​​​ He was a Caucasian male, about my age -- which was 18. He had short, dark black hair, and a small patch of blonde at the top. His nose was a little bit too big for his body, but it suited him. His eyes were a gorgeous dark shade of brown, and he was quite thin.

​"Hey, what's wrong, dude?"​​​​​​​​ the boy asked me, confusing me.

​"Uh, what do you mean?" He knelt down in front of me, and brought he hand up to my face, caressing my cheek.

​"You're crying," he said as his thumb wiped the tears from my face. "You're too cute to cry." I didn't know that I was crying--Wait, did he just say I was cute?

​I blushed. "I-I was? Shit. I had no idea."

​He nodded, "My name is Jack, what's yours?"

​"Alex."

​"Cute. Just like you," I blushed again. "If you don't mind me asking, what caused you to tear up? Do you want to talk about it?" His voice sounded like he genuinely cared, and wanted to ​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​talk to me. I bit my lip, contemplating on whether I should tell the boy or not. I mean, I've just met the guy.

​"You don't have to if you don't want to," he said. Oh, thank God. "Do you mind if we just talk? You know, get to know each other?"

​"No, I don't mind at all." Jack grinned.​​​​​​​​​​​​ His smile is honestly the most gorgeous thing I have ever seen besides Jack himself.