Chapter 1: The Red Lion

Green and Black flashes swirled around in a dance, nearly scratching the surface of Karroin. They came out of the dance, dragging broken turrets in their mouths. "Nice one, Harper, let's help the Blades by taking out the base's main cannon!" I shouted enthusiastically.

"Yeah!" She says back as we headed for the main base. We fired in sync and at the same spot. Our beams combining and sprouting one, bright, powerful energy beam. It shot through the cold, crisp air, stirring up dust and piercing the Zafarian weapons facility's main cannon. I watched as it started to collapse on the base. "We have to stop it! Kolivan said he needs that information."

A streak of ice whirled past us and froze the entire cannon. "Hey guys!" Quace exclaimed as the Blue and Yellow Lions approached us. "We took out the Research Facility pretty quick, it wasn't that guarded so we came to help you guys."

"Thanks, Quace," Harper says as fire at the surface of the planet, hitting small turrets and soldiers with heavy weapons. 

"Paladins, the Blade Of Marmora will take it from there, can you return to the station?" Jade asks.

"Sure, we'll be there in a tick." I said as we turned around and headed for outer space. We landed in our individual hangars and met up in the halls before entering the bridge. 

"What do you think we need to discuss?" Brisia questions us all as we neared the bridge door.

"Probably what planet there's Zafarian bases on, or what planets we need to help in general?" Harper says with a questioning tone, "no one really knows."

"The Red Paladin," Quace suggested as we rounded the corner. "We need to find a new Red Paladin." We entered the bridge, being greeted by Amethyst, Jade, Marae, Unai, and Aurora.

"Welcome back, we have an important subject to go over," Amethyst tells us, "we need to find someone to pilot the Red Lion." 

"Who do you think should try out of all of us?" Unai questions. 

"I think Amethyst should try." Harper suggests with a smile.

"No one? Maybe. . .Heather?" Brisia murmured crossing her arms. I gave her a sort of aggressive look, but then calmed myself by breathing slow, deep breaths. 

"Amethyst." Quace confidently says.

"Hmmm, I'm not sure. . .we'll have Amethyst try first though, then Jade, so on and so forth." I say. I turned on my heel and lead everyone out of the bridge and to the Red Lion's hangar. We stared up at the Red Lion sitting there. The shield had somehow come down, perhaps it was because the paladin was standing in this room, perhaps another reason. Amethyst was the first to go. 

She went inside and sat in the paladin's chair, holding the control handles and focusing. After a few moments she sighed. "Well, wonderful A, B conversation, except I couldn't seem to find the B anywhere." She said and sighed again, getting up from the paladin's chair and walked out. Now it was Jade's turn. 

Aurora sighed and I looked at her. "What's wrong?" I say with my arms crossed and lips pursed.

"Oh, it's nothing, I guess," she says, trying to brush off whatever was on her mind, "it's just. . .I wanted to be the one to find the Black Lion, I wanted to find Voltron and finally prove myself. I've been stuck a captain for three deca-phoebs, I want change, I've worked for so long for it, I can't help but to feel like I deserve a little more, maybe not the Black Lion though, you're a pretty good leader." I gave a half-smile. Jade had already rushed out and said paladin life isn't for her.

"Aurora's going next!" I shout with a big grin. She gasped a little and looked at me. I smiled and watched as she walked inside. She sat in the paladin's chair and held the control handles, closing her eyes and letting go of all her thoughts. She sat there for a few ticks, whispering to the lion with great focus and wonder. She didn't even realize the Red Lion was alive with her touch and had stood up, letting out a loud roar. She opened her eyes wearily and smiled a big smile. I clapped and cheered, excited for her. The others joined in with me.

The lion let her down and she came out, hugging her arms to her chest with a light smile. She was happy but was struggling with something. She walked out and to Unai and shed a single tear. "We've been through so much together, I don't wanna leave you behind." She says wiping away the tear.

He hugged her tightly. "This is your purpose, this is your calling, this is who you are," he says with a smile. "I'll still be working with you and seeing you every so often, things will be fine." She sniffled and let go of him. They separated and exchanged weary smiles. I smiled with crossed arms.

"I knew it." I remarked. 

She rolled her eyes and smiled. "Mmmhm." 

"So let's get to the basics, you need paladin armor," Jade says, "but you weren't apart of the original paladin line, we'll need to give you a different color."

"The Pink Paladin?" Amethyst questions. 

"Eh, I like purple more." She said crossing her arms.

"Hmm, the Purple Paladin. . .sounds cool to me!" Harper exclaims. "Let's go paint some paladin armor Brisia!" She grabbed her arm and dragged her along the floor.

"Girl, let me stand up!" Brisia shouted trying to stand up, but slipping instead. Harper helped her up. Marae and Jade went with them to show them to the paladin armor storage unit. 

"So, are you guys going to be alright?" Amethyst asks Unai and Aurora. 

"Aurora has always been like a daughter to me, part of being a parent is being prepared to let go." Unai responds laying his hand on her shoulder. She smiled and hugged him tightly. 

"Aw, that's a sweet thing to say," I say as we start to walk towards the door. "Let's see what Harper and the others are doing." We walked to the paladin armor storage unit and found no one. 

We gazed around the room. "Oh, the painting chamber!" Amethyst says turning to walk out of the room.

"There's a painting chamber?" I said in shock as we walked out of the room and down the hall.

The door slid open and revealed a room with two glass tubes. In front of one was Harper, Brisia, Marae, and Jade. They held out a freshly painted and dried Purple Paladin armor. "It looks amazing!" Harper says with excitement. Aurora smiled as she gazed at it.

"Yeah, I love it. . ."

---