Chapter 1 - The Aristocrat Universe

It was Friday night in the middle of bustling city. Aside from the torrential rains that was reported in the Weather news, nothing seemed amiss. It was just another Friday night—a night of relaxation after a week of hardwork. For most employees, Friday nights meant going out with friends, going to parties, or going home early.

However, there were also employees who seemed to enjoy work more than anything else. Employees such as Elana Velasquez, who, at this certain moment, was busily editing a PowerPoint presentation for a meeting the next week.

It's 8:35 already? She mused as she stretched her arms up in the air. The presentation she was working on was for a pitch on Thursday next week. She has time to do it on Monday, but Elana was the kind of worker who puts her hundred and ten percent in the tasks that she does. The reason she was overtiming on a Friday night?

Nothing. There was just nothing to do on a Friday night, so she might as well work on her presentation.

Yes, she had friends too—if counting the people in online book club she has been part of ever since high school. Although she has not met her online club members, she felt closer to them than anybody else in this cold city. Oh how she misses her hometown and the scent of home, but opportunities there were scarce.

I guess this is it for today. She checked her watch—8:50 pm. She packed her bag, turned off her cubicle light, and went back to her apartment—just three blocks away from the office.

She liked her small apartment because this was a space all to herself. Working in the advertising industry can be taxing, especially when she's talking to clients here and there throughout the day. So a haven like this one is very much welcome.

Her apartment had all the basic things—a fluffy bed at the corner, a small table in the middle of the room which acts as her dining table/workplace, a small TV set in front of it because she likes to watch TV while working, a small dresser near her bed. The kitchen was in another corner adjacent to her bathroom. She keeps her apartment neat and organized, and thus, while it is small, it feels like home to her.

Elana puts down the take-out she ordered on the way back home. From her dresser, she pulls out her personal laptop and booted it.

Ah, I can finally finish the second book, she thought.

Elana has great passion on her career, but the other passion of hers that measures equally with that, was reading romance novels.

Romance novels have been her friend during rough times at school and work. She loses herself in the plot, imagining herself in the shoes of the characters, falling in love in countless possible ways.

While she does not admit it, Elana is a hopeless romantic but she is a realist too. "Great men are fictional," she would always say.

She ate while she read on her laptop, and finally reached the last page:

Karim held Yvana close to him, smiled genuinely for the first time in his life. This lady in his arms, has not only awoken his heart but also his spirit. Her flames ignited him and will burn him for the rest of his life.

She was finally his, and he was finally hers. Her smile behind the wedding veil, her exquisite beauty radiating for him, the second she pledged her entire life for him and him to her—these were all the moments he will always remember for eternity.

But apart from the usual wedding traditions, he wanted something more binding. He signaled the officiating priest to get him his dagger.

He glanced briefly to the guest of the Eastern Empire—the Seo Dynasty representative. Karim was the Wolf Prince of the Southern Kingdom of Aslar, and it was customary to invite foreign dignitaries to witness his wedding.