Christmas Ash

So there's that box. It just stands there. I think it's a lonely box. It looks so abandoned.

But it is beautiful. Such an amazing colour. Strange blue. It's not ocean blue or sky blue, it's different, I've never seen such a colour before. I've often asked mum and dad where the box came from. Since I can remember it has been there: in front of our house, in the garden. The blue box.

Dad said we got it from a good friend. Mum once told me it's bigger on the inside. I was surprised. How can it be bigger inside?

It feels warm when I touch it even though it is made of wood. There's a sign that says 'Police Box' and 'Pull to open'.  I always thought about to pull. But I never did. Dad said I can look what's inside if I want to.

I asked: 'Why do you never go inside?'. He said that it is asleep.

'But why does it sleep? It sleeps all the time, then?'.

'Yes', he said, 'it always sleeps, waiting for the right moment'.

I wonder when the right moment will be. And why does it look so sad?

I make a step. It's very cold outside, my breath turns into little clouds.

"Why are you so sad?", I ask. I stretch out my hand and caress it with my fingers. Still warm. Even if the white snow covers it.

It has windows but there's no light inside.

"What are you waiting for?". I walk around of it. The snow scrunches under my feet.

"Today is Christmas Day. In my opinion it's the best day of the year. Better than my birthday. I got great presents and I drew something for mum, dad, granny Jackie and grandpa Pete. Mickey took me to the beach and we went fishing. When we came back, there was a kitty in my room. A kitty! Mickey said it's mine now and dad said I should call it Arthur. I don't know, it sounds a bit old fashioned, doesn't it? I'm not sure how to call it. But I was so happy! And everyone else too, we laughed and had fun and it was just great! Today everybody should be happy. So why are you sad? Because you got no presents? I can make you one! Shall I draw something? I like to draw. Maybe you don't like the snow... But you feel warm so the snow is okay for you? Every day you are out here. Dad said we got you from a good friend. Are you sad because he left you here?" I hear how the front door of our house gets opened.

"Alex?" I turn around. It's mum. She's looking for me.

"I'm here!", I tell her.

"You shouldn't be outside without any jacket! You are going to catch a cold"

"I just wanted to look for the box. It looks so sad. Why is it said?" I touch it again.

"That's because... well"

"Well? Well what?" I look at my mum.

"It's sad because we, your dad and I, are sad sometimes"

"Eh? When are you sad? I don't want you to be sad! Why is it sad when you are sad?"

"I told you once that it is bigger on the inside, didn't I?" I nod.

"It's alive. The box is alive and it is connected to me and your dad. There was a time... long ago... when I travelled with thas good friend who gave us the box. He is... kind of... the brother of your dad. They are twins. And the inside of this box is connected with him and therefore with us."

"Uh, okay. But when and why are you sad?"

"Sometimes we miss travelling. Very much. It had been a fantastic time"

"But today is Christmas Day! No one should be sad!"

"We are happy, darling. Very much."

"Okay. But the box is unhappy. How do we make it happy?"

"I think it is already happy. Kind of."

"Maybe it will feel better when we wrap a scarf around it"

"Sure, we can give it a try"

Mum and I go inside. Dad waits for us.

"Hey dad! We are going to give a nice warm scarf to the box so it won't be sad anymore!" I bounce into my room and search for my favourite scarf. Aunt Sarah made it for me. It has many colours, like the rainbow and it's very, very long and soft. Meanwhile I wonder if my parents are sad today? The box is. But they seem to be happy. So the box is happy, too. But I want it to be really happy.

I find the scarf and go back to my parents who wait at the door. Dad gives me my jacket.

"Your friend, why does he never come to visit us?" I need to know this.

"He can't" I'm about to open the door but now I stop.

"Why?"

"Well", mum turns me around and zips my jacket, "he's very busy and has a big and serious job to do"

"Really? What is he doing?"

"He makes other people happy", says mum.

"Like Father Christmas?"

"Correct" Dad nods.

"Uh,", I glance at the scarf in my hands, "does he look like Father Christmas?" Dad laughs.

"No, no, he looks like me. But I have to admit, I look a bit better. He's rather skinny. But we are both quite good-looking" Mum pokes him in the side.

"Good", I say. Now I remember that mum said they are twins. So they obviously look the same.

"Come on then! Let's spread happiness!", I shout as I run out of the house.

With the help of my parents I wrap the scarf around the box. My mum makes a nice knot. I take my parents' hands and exclaim: "Merry Christmas!" The three of us throw our hands in the air.

"Now it looks like a Christmas present", dad notices.

"I think it looks happier, doesn't it?"

"Of course it does", mum confirms.

For a few minutes we stand there and look at the blue box. The snow falls silently.

"Can we go inside of it tomorrow? I need to know if it's really bigger", I tell my parents.

"Sure", dad says. He laughs.

"You will love it. It has a swimming pool"

"No", I say. Mum also grins. But I can't believe this. Swimming pool? No way!

"Maybe we can talk to your uncle then", she says.

"You mean when we're in the box? Well, right, it says 'Telephone Box'"

"Oh yes! We can try to phone him!", dad exclaims. He turns to mum and they both grin and then they hug. To see them like this makes me also smile and I hug both of them. We stand there and look at the now happy box. I take my parents' hands.  Suddenly a thought comes to my mind.

"Is it magic?!", I ask excited.

Mum squeezes my hand.

"Yes. The best thing you'll ever see", she tells me.

"Why did you never go inside to see the magic?", I wonder.

"We waited for the right moment", dad says.

"Oh. Wow. Good", I say.

We look at the box a little longer until it gets too cold. I keep thinking about the box and dad's brother who is like Father Christmas and brings happiness. I like him.