Chapter 1 - Sophie's POV

The first few chapters take place between the books Neverseen and Flashback.

"Fitz, come on!" Sophie called over her shoulder. "You know that we need to get the crystal back to Havenfield by tonight!"

"I'm coming, I'm coming," Fitz muttered. "Just don't want to, you know, step on a trap and not get back at all."

Sophie rolled her eyes at him as she glanced around the narrow corridor they were walking through. Mr. Forkle had sent her and Fitz to get the Crystal of Minds that morning, in order to have it ready to use by this evening. The Black Swan had planned to add small pieces of the Crystal to Sophie's and Fitz's Cognate rings, fixating their power even more.

"Seriously, Fitz?" Sophie sighed. "That's something Dex would say, not you."

Fitz grumbled something inaudible, the phrase "Called me Wonderboy" coming up one or two times. Sophie rolled her eyes again. He had been in a bad mood ever since Keefe couldn't stop laughing after Dex's face turned red when he heard that Sophie and Fitz would be going on a "Cognate mission." Especially Tam's face was covered in the expression that said, "I told you so."

All in all, it was kind of a hysterical moment.

"Listen, I just want to get in and out of here as fast as possible," Fitz informed her. "The sooner we get the Crystal of Minds, the better."

"I'll have to agree with you on that." Sophie stepped over yet another tripwire. The Temple of Minds, something built by the Aztecs hundreds of years ago, was littered with booby traps in order to keep people away from the treasure hidden within. Sophie did want to get out of here quickly, eager to get the nagging voice in her head that was saying, "Look out! Look out! That could be a booby trap! Or that!" to be quiet, yet she couldn't help being impressed by these long-dead architects. Their work was flawless, never a fissure or hook out of place. Still, couldn't they have added less booby traps?!

Barely anyone believed that the Crystal of Minds existed, and the Black Swan only knew about it because Flori had mentioned it to them during one of Sophie's and Fitz's Cognate exercises. Flori had been told the legend by Calla (Sophie's heart broke a little more as she thought the name) so they could hardly refuse to look for it.

As Sophie and Fitz continued on, she spotted a light ahead. It almost seemed like sunshine, yet more refined. Sophie squinted. Using one of the abilities she had been trained in at Ellixum, she enhanced her eyesight, allowing her to make out what was at the end of the corridor. 

A crystal, bright and pure, rested at a pedestal in a small room at the end of the hallway. Sophie could tell immediately that it was the Crystal of Minds. It called to her... It wanted her to come... touch it... take it...  

A hand grabbed her tunic from behind, stopping her from stepping on a slightly taller brick in the ground. The turned her head to thank Fitz from saving her from activating a potential trap, when she realized that a hand was holding his tunic as well. His expression matched what hers must have been, the telepathy part of both of them being called to the Crystal.

So if Fitz wasn't the one stopping her, and she hadn't grabbed him...

"Well hello, Sophie Foster," a girl said, pulling them backwards. She nodded at Fitz. "Fitz Vacker as well. Welcome to the Temple of Minds, and you're welcome, by the way, for saving your life."

Hee hee hee... I am so cruel stopping it there... I shall never add to it...

Naw, just messing with you. I'm hoping to add Chapter 2 soon, but not yet. If you are this far, thank you so much for trying my story! This makes me happier than Silveny is around Keefe! See you in Chapter 2!