Prologue: An Angel's Mission

He hit the snow hard, his arms sprawling out beside him as the human pulled the blade from his chest. His soul, glowing blue flashed, and then he was gone. I tried to remain clam, tried to focus on the fact that a human was still trying to kill me, but I was panicking. 

"You'll never make it out of here alive." the human sneered, grinning as readied his blade in his hand. It was dripping with blood, sprinkling the snow with red below us as we circled each other.

"You don't understand, you're going to destroy the universe!" I cried, trying to reason with him. I didn't want to take his life, so much blood had been shed already. We were supposed to be saving people, not hurting them. 

"Honey, we are going to change the world. Once people know that freaks like you two are real, they'll join our cause, and we will end the threat you bring to us. You're not helping us, you're the reason so many wars have been fought, the cause for so much violence!" He spat back at me, swiping his blade at my chest, and just missing my dress. "Once we have rid the world of you, there will finally be peace!" He lunged again, and as I spun out of the way, I grabbed his arm, and knocked the blade out of his hand. 

"I'm sorry, but you're wrong. Violence breeds violence. Only acceptance and love can bring peace, and you men have yet to learn that." I growled, swiping my blade across his throat. He gurgled to the ground as he bled out into the snow, and I dropped to my knees beside the dark haired angel that I had come to love in my own way. 

I brushed his thick black hair back from his eyes, and a single tear slipped down my cheek. He had been a pain to be around these last few weeks, but he had grown on me. His laughter had became infectious, and his wildness had become endearing. 

"You were the very worst partner I've ever had, you know?" I said to him, smiling at the joke he would have laughed at. His lips were slowly turning blue, and while I knew his soul was gone, it still felt strange to touch his chest. I laid my palm flat on his chest, directly over where his heart should have been beating, and laid down in the snow beside him. 

"I can't let you die, darling." I said, using the snarky nickname he had given me, smiling at the bitter sweetness of it all. "You'll be okay after this. You'll finish the fight and you'll be the hero you were chosen to be." And as the words left my mouth my hand glowed with a golden light. I was forcing my soul into his body, giving him my life. Literally. It was my mission, as an angel to protect everyone who was good, and had a pure heart. 

"I know they call you a demon, but I've seen it. I've seen the good in you, the yearning to be more than a label, and now you can be." I whispered, as the last of my soul entered his body. The last thing I saw was his eyes fluttering open, a striking deep blue, dazed and confused, before my eyes closed forever. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------