Chapter X - Deep in the Woods

He dreamed he was back at home in their cozy living room. A fire burned in the hearth while it snowed outside. Dad was hunched over a game of Xo on the coffee table, playing against his personal, artificial intelligence robot — which was nothing more than a metal appendage sitting on a base — while Mom was sitting at the windowsill, sipping oolong, and writing on her journal.

There was no feeling of resentment at being somewhat ignored as he had felt in real life — he was only glad, immeasurably glad just watching them, being with them.

All at once, there was a deafening pounding on their main door. Mom and Dad jumped at the sound. Moments later, the door was kicked in, and a dozen Metalloy police officers rushed in. Murderous robots they looked like, in their metal helmets and armor.

They lunged at Mom and Dad, reaching for them, about to grab them when everything suddenly dissolved into a mist, and Zablaron's eyes flew open. He stared at the ornate ceiling. A knock came at the door.

Zablaron sat up in bed and rubbed the sleep from his eyes. He threw back the sheets, snatched his maroon dressing gown from the nightstand, and donned it over his striped, maroon-and-white pajamas. He walked over the soft deer rug, ran a hand through his hair, and opened the door.

Two couriers in baseball caps and red and navy shirts stood in the door with a logo that brought an earnest smile on Zablaron's face — Point Blank.

Both held a plastic case each. A garment bag dangled from the fingers of one of them while a shoebox lay at their feet.

"Good morning, sir. It's so good to see you safe and sound, sir," one of them said, doffing his cap.

"Thank you. Did you face any trouble while entering the tunnel?" Zablaron asked.

"We did, sir, but then we had security talk to Ms. Tielin. All the troubles were gone with the wind."

Should I have the call placed now and get her charges cleared? Zablaron pondered. She will stop being useful the moment I do it. It can wait.

"Anyhow, here is the modulator," the other said, pushing his case toward Zablaron. "And Chizear has... those other things."

That other thing had to be things to sneak past spaceport security, Zablaron thought. "Send Uncle Vonsten my thanks. Put them there on the dresser," Zablaron said, stepping aside. "That and that in the wardrobe," he added, pointing toward the garment bag and the shoe box.

Zablaron watched them as they put the things in their place and returned to the door.

"Will there be anything else, sir?" Chizear asked.

"No. Make yourselves comfortable here. I might be gone a long time, but wait for my call."

"Well then, best of luck, sir. And stay safe."

"I wouldn't do this if I intended to stay safe. Now, if you will excuse me, I must prepare."

When they were gone, Zablaron took a cold shower before dressing more appropriately for the forest — a maroon, safari jacket with opened buttons, a white shirt with shirttails protruding from behind, khaki trousers with cargo pockets, and calf-length, burgundy boots. He strapped his VBP to his right forearm.

He proceeded to open the cases one by one. The first carried a device, not unlike a small radio transceiver with multiple antennas protruding — the modulator.

The second case revealed some unassuming, light-salmon and steel-blue metal pieces in different shapes and sizes.

He immediately set to assembling the pieces together — the resulting object looked like a giant, metal horseshoe. Zablaron put it away deep into his jacket's inner pocket and the modulator into an outer one.