Chapter 1 - The Leaky Couldren

Astoria's POV -

As Astoria Greengrass wondered into the leaky cauldron she immediately spotted a slouched figure sat at the bar, hand firmly around a scotch and as she approached him. She immediately noticed his eyes, there were big dark circles under them and he looked like he hadn't slept in weeks.

His clothes were rugged and old, he had stubble growing on his chin and the only bright thing about him was his stricking blond hair.

"Um.. h..hello." Astoria cleared her throat as she sat down at the bar a few seats away from him, the guy just continued looking ahead of him, he looked so detached from the from the world, so glum looming.

"You're Draco Malfoy, right?" She asked turning to look at him, he finally looked up at her noticing someone was there, he blinked for a moment before replying. "Um..y..yeah I am."

"Sorry, do I know you?" He asked looking confused as Astoria ordered a drink from the bar man.

"No, but I think you knew my sister. She was called Daphne, Daphne Greengrass." She told him hoping he'd know who she was talking about and not just think that Astoria was some strange person wanting to interview him on his Father.

"The name rings a bell, she was in my year right?" Draco asked trying to sound interested as he took a sip of his scotch. "Yeah she was, I'm Astoria." She took out her hand which he shook. "Nice to meet you." She smiled.

"Sorry, I hope you don't mind me asking. Are.. you alright?" Astoria asked trying to catch Draco's gaze.

"Well, how much do you know?" He scoffed, she swallowed nervously. "My father is scum, that just about sums it up, they're holding him in Azkaban until they set a date for his trial."
He finally spoke after he realised Astoria didn't really know how to answer.

"Yeah, I read it in the papers." She looked down in her lap not sure what to say next but she looked back up to him. ".. But you're not or your Mother?" She asked and Draco nodded glumly. "She saved Harry from being caught by Voldemort during the war so she was excused." He told her swallowing his last sip of scotch.

"And you?"

He smirked rubbing his hand on his forehead. "And me what?"

He made her so nervous, she new exactly what happened, it was in the papers everyday and she knew he was excused too but why was she still asking him questions?

She wanted to know, to help heal him. He just looked like such a broken man. It's always been in her blood to take care of others and help them any way she can.

Astoria bit her lip nervously, overcome with not wanting to say the wrong thing.

"Sorry, I'm just.. just tired." He sighed after a while.

"I'm so sorry about everything you went through." She bursted out and for the first time Draco caught her eyes, they stayed looking at each other for a moment and Astoria suddenly felt a wash of sadness over her as she finally met his eyes properly.

She could see the trauma as clear as day, as she gazed into pools of grey silver eyes, ringed by his dark circles and you could almost feel his sadness through them, blinding you.

"Thank you." He finally said removing his eyes away from her as he stood up, he took out a couple of galleons and left them on the table before walking out the pub.

So Astoria was now left sat at the bar a drink in front of her that she hadn't even touched and a depressed feeling stuck inside her, almost like a hole in her heart. She didn't know Draco but she knew a lot about him, he looked so broken, she just wanted to help him. Astoria sighed sadly, I wish I'd have told him.. she thought. Told him she knew what it's like to be bought up in a strict pure-blood family, who bring you up to think that all muggle borns are scum and she knew some of what it was like to go through the second wizarding war. Obviously she didn't understand to the extent that it was for Draco and the evil things he had to face but he.. he looked like he needed someone. As did she.

There! Hope you liked the first chapter, sorry it's so short it's just kinda an introduction for you all. The next one will be a lot longer, please follow and review! It means a lot.