Abandon All Hope

Long ago foresaw the bitter end, whereby the most bitter of rivals would end the fight caused by humanity's rise. Vying for human souls, the light and dark grow weary of battle as on the precipice of destruction, the embodiment of the two forces bring about resolution once and for all.
✯✯✯
For as long as he could recall, the dark demon prince could smell the sulfur permeating the air. There had never been a moment without it but at times the infuriating scent would leave the forefront of his mind so he could at least briefly forget it's offensive smell. This often only happened when he was tormenting the latest batch of souls to enter the underworld. Ruefully he thought that maybe this was the real reason for winning so many over.

This place was full of lesser demonlings that all seemed to multiply like rats. Their lowborn sense of entertainment typically meant poking and prodding at their unfortunate victims but the prince liked to exercise his creativity. It was most fun to tap directly into the thoughts of a lost soul and create a dreamscape of their worst nightmares and greatest regrets. The prince loved to see his victims slowly unravel until they were completely and utterly shattered with faces of pure anguish. And he could make them relive it over and over again.. there was no escape from this place. And when one tactic failed his ingenuity often lent him another, more devastating one.

The prince had a following of those who would use his tactics for their own nefarious purposes. He hardly cared. There were so many people here all kept in their own individual cells of horror that he couldn't tend to them all personally. The demonlings were too incompetent which left the Outbound and the Nobles. The Outbound were demonlings that had risen about their incompetence and sent out into the real world to recruit more souls. The Nobles were a higher caliber of demon altogether with their possession of intellect and sadistic creativity as a result of being former angels. The prince himself was almost a Noble except that he had been handcrafted by the master of evil and assigned a great deal more than any Noble.

For centuries upon stone-packed centuries this had been his role. Something within him was beginning to fester with every escaping Outbound. He wanted to see what it was like out there. He wanted to see a soul that wasn't terrified or horrified as a pang of realization sets in. And suddenly he must have it!

In a flurry of leathery violet wings and curling jet black horns, dark robes with gold engravings are cast aside as the first light appears. It's bright. Too bright. It hurts his eyes more the closer he gets! But he must leave either for an hour or a year, that has yet to be determined.
✯✯✯
The air was cool and calm upon his initial emergence. Not a hint of sulfur lingered. He closed his eyes and allowed his harsh demon features to fade into something more akin to living humans. His ears still maintained the slightest point in a way that resembled an accent- there, and noticeable, but not loud and overbearingly prominent so as to distract from words themselves.

In the distance, there stood a city like a giant beacon. He could sense the thriving life and all the people! Here, his power was limited. This was a battle ground after all and he was on constant opposition, something he had never really experienced before but he quite liked it. He wanted to meddle in a life and win over a soul for his cause. He knew in most cases it really was a simple matter of bribery and encouragement. Humans were so naive.

The prince could see his kind all hard at work. They were invisible to humans but often manifested in the form of a small and unobtrusive voice until complete control was attained. Amidst the chaos stood one man, straight and tall, bearing the livery of the enemy. His wings splayed out behind him, making the prince almost feel ashamed of his much smaller ones.

"I've heard about you." He began in a calm and low voice, blue eyes wary with the prince's approach. "They call you Prince Damian, second in command and son to the Dark Lord himself."