One

September 1

Severus Snape picked up a forkful of potatoes, looking over the Great Hall with a dismaying look in his eyes. Another year of horrid, ill-behaved adolescents torturing him into a slow, painful death. Speaking of horrid students... Snape almost smiled when he realized the absence of misters Potter and Weasley. Maybe they were deathly ill and would be absent all year? One could only hope... However, one tack in his ass was still there. Miss Granger sat toying with her Head Girl badge idly, the other hand massaging her forehead. The little witch looked up, as if sensing Snape's gaze and her large brown eyes found his black ones. She looked away quickly. Then, with a nod to reassure herself of something final, Hermione laid the badge on the table, leaving it lonely, and hurried out of the Great Hall. Snape's interest piqued slightly, wondering if the trio was finally going to set out to commit Potter's final at of heroism.

He ignored the words of Albus Dumbledore as the old man stood, spread him long arms and welcomed all the brats. Snape stabbed a turkey leg and vaguely speculated if McNair had been given the Cruciatus for failing his last mission. The man couldn't even manage to capture some old brooch from some decrepit lady. Pathetic. Would the Dark Lord send him instead now?

Snape looked up at the sound of wings rustling through the hall. It was a bit early for mail... The owls landed directly and only before seventh year girls. The Marriage Law had just been reeled into effect. The young women must be married by September 30.

September 9

Hermione sighed her hunger and rolled onto her side, then groaned when a root stuck in her side.

"Bloody... hell..." Hermione yawned, then got to her knees and crawled out of the tent flap. The nights were getting colder, and Hermione suddenly wished she had stolen blankets in addition to food from the last house. She didn't dare light a fire, as she was following the tracks of Ron and Harry, and Death Eaters were sure to be trailing also.

Ron and Harry... Damn the imbeciles. They had left her behind, simply worried for her safety. If anyone was in more danger right now, it was them. She didn't realize their plan until she was sitting alone at the feast at Hogwarts. She left it all behind to find them... Her NEWTs, her Head Girl status... When she found them, she vowed to kill them.

September 15

Snape let himself into the Headmaster's office and watched him pace with a bored expression.

"...have no idea where Harry has gone to. You say they were not with Miss Granger when she left? They must have left her behind," Dumbledore said.

"How very chivalrous," Snape drawled.

Dumbledore paused, looking thoughtfully out his window and over the lake.

"She has fifteen days, Severus, until she will be married. I wonder if she knows it yet?" Snape didn't answer, not being able to bring himself to care. "Do you know what happens at the deadline, if the witch has not chosen?" Dumbledore asked quietly.

Snape pursed his lips as the thought hit him. That put a damper on his apathetic outlook. The old man finished answered his own question, as he typically did.

"A wizard can choose her, any wizard, and she won't have a say. Imagine the wizards that can use her to get to Harry," said Dumbledore. He sat behind his desk and interlaced his fingers.

"We can only wait," Snape offered.

"Yes... I suppose you're right," Dumbledore sighed. "Lemon drop?"

September 21

The newspaper, stolen from an unfortunate owl Hermione had stunned in flight, shook in her hands like a strong breeze was agitated, but the evening was really very still. Hermione's eyes swept through the beginning of the article.