Angel

Waverly Earp slid to the floor, tears streaming down her face. These past few days, she had been rejected by nearly everyone around her. Wynonna had called her a half-sister, Doc had admitted that her possibly being a demon would make sense, and Nicole had yelled at her. On top of the unexpected death of Xavier Dolls and learning that her mother had been in prison for years, every tragedy was stacking on each other, crushing her under their weight. 

"It's too much," she whimpered through her sobs.

Jolene was still right beside her, quaking with rage. "Then do it," she whispered harshly, presenting the gleaming kitchen knife she held tightly enough to turn her knuckles white. "End it."

Waverly grasped the weapon in trembling hands, the point facing her torso. Jolene was talking, but she was only half-listening. Anguish crashed over her in waves, pulling her from every direction as if to rip her fragile body apart. Her head was throbbing so intensely that she wanted to scream, but she could only sputter as tears cascaded from her reddened eyes.

Now that she thought about it, what did she offer the group? Wynonna had Peacemaker, of course. Doc provided firepower when they were caught in a fight. Nicole offered firepower and information about Bulshar, and Jeremy was the brain. What was she? The one who always found herself in the worst situations, who slowed the team down, who was barely significant, that's what. They would be able to keep going without her.

Jolene was right. Waverly was nothing more than a useless piece of skin. And if she truly was a demon, it would probably help the group if she eliminated herself now.

Waverly pressed the tip of the knife against the fabric of her shirt, underneath her sternum. This was it. She closed her eyes, exhaled, and began to push the blade into her chest.

But as she felt the first drops of blood spill down her abdomen, she was flooded with memories.

Wynonna. "Waverly Earp. Yes, Earp." All the times Wynonna called her baby girl. How Wynonna fell on Waverly in her grief about being pregnant. How accepting Wynonna was of Waverly's sexuality. So much love, all for Waverly, from her sister.

Nicole. "I have never loved anyone the way that I love you." The day they met at Shorty's. Her patience while Waverly struggled to come to terms with herself. Their countless kisses, all special. Nicole loved Waverly too.

Mama. She took on a demon to save Waverly's life, even though it caused her unimaginable misery. The lengths she went to in order to keep her youngest daughter safe. Her lack of questioning over Nicole being Waverly's girlfriend.

They all loved her. Doc, Jeremy, and Dolls, too. They were all there for her in their own ways, providing support. They were family.

Waverly pulled the knife back, its tip stained with crimson blood. She gripped the handle with all of her strength. "No, Jolene," she spoke, shaking her head. "We aren't the same. I do have people that love me." With that, she tossed the knife across the room.

Jolene shrieked in horror. Her hand lashed out, grabbing Waverly by the throat. She was lifted from the ground, her airway stuck in the clutches of the true demon. It wasn't her. It was Jolene.

Out of the corner of her eye, Waverly saw Wynonna enter the shed, but Jolene was too occupied to notice. Waverly sucked in a shallow breath, gathering her courage. "Jolene," she gasped. "You may be my demon, but I'm not letting you control me ever again."

As if on cue, Wynonna fired Peacemaker, the bullet lodging in Jolene's back, prompting her to drop Waverly. The heir rushed to her younger sister's side, placing a protective arm over her as she regained her breath.

Waverly Earp was loved.