1927

1927

I was a recent college graduate from Boston University and in search for my next move. The fact that I had even graduated college at all should have opened up every door to any opportunity that I wanted to pursue. I had no such luck with any opportunity. I wanted to be a writer, but no one would publish me outside of an advice column in New York Times that insisted that I had to write to housewives. Absurd articles that featured which citrus fruit was better to clean with and how to have dinner on the table by five and have the laundry done. So like any unmarried college graduate in my position would do, dejectedly, I moved back home.

Mother was thrilled. She threw a homecoming party for me, and naturally invited all of the single sons of the families we knew over. It was a kind gesture as many of my mother's intentions are, but from the moment I arrived until they left I felt prodded and scanned. Not one of them were interested in what I had to say about political topics about the booming steel industry that was beginning to take over, what I studied in college or what my plans were after. Well, unless you don't count the twelve-year-old little girl sporting long baby doll curls persistent on the thought that I had to pick her older brother, who couldn't make it to the party, because he was a prince. She grabbed my hand demanding my full attention while lecturing me on the principles of being a princess. Insisting that since my fun at school was over it was time for me to marry and live happily ever after. How nice to still have that innocent view of the world. I wish I still had that.

Her name was Annabelle. I remember when her mother was pregnant with her. It created quite the scandal considering she is actually the granddaughter of the Fosters who were officially being her stand in parents. The Fosters wanted to keep the indiscretion of their fifteen-year-old daughter Caroline a secret to everyone. Including Annabelle. I myself wouldn't have even know if I hadn't been hiding in father's study while he and Mr. Foster were discussing what he should do about the situation. After Caroline had Annabelle the Fosters sent Caroline to boarding school for girls in South Carolina and Mrs. Foster stepped in as Annabelle's surrogate mother.

"His name is Vincent. He's off at university so I never get to see him anymore, but he is the best big brother that any girl could ask for." Annabelle was smiling and clasping her hands together. "Lucy. Lucy. Are you even listening? Princesses should always stand proper and listen to everything that is being said to them. It's simple manners."

I laughed. "You're right Annabelle. I do apologize." I faced her trying to look interested in her going on about her brother Virgil...Victor or was it Vincent?

If I was being completely honest, I didn't want to be at the party. I don't think that it would have mattered much if I wasn't there either. None of the young men my mother invited over were interested in me at all. A few even asked when Vivian would be showing up. How convenient for them. I, the little sister of the most asked for girl in the county, was having a coming home party and her mother insists that you come to the party. Too bad for them, but Vivy had moved to New York City a year after I went to school to study painting. Mother had insisted on keeping her at home for a couple years after high school just in case some new prospects came into town. She was hoping to have Vivian married off to the wealthiest bachelor in the state. However, it was in vain, and unbeknownst to our parents Vivy was eager to get away.

We were nothing alike. Our personalities contradicted each other. To me she was a bit spoiled. She had everything handed to her, and given the opportunity would take advantage of anyone's kindness, but she was the person I was closest to. Growing up with only one sibling without any neighbors permitted to spend time with you will force you to bond. She was two years older than I was, but that didn't bother her. We did everything together and told each other our secrets. It wasn't until I was thirteen did I realize that my secrets weren't really secrets compared to the ones my sister held. It wasn't until I turned thirteen did I realize the actions that my sister took wouldn't exactly label her as a proper lady. Despite this, suitors came and went.