1- Conditional Happiness

"Ya know," Jim considered, eating an ice cream cone at a little street parlor. He sat at a maroon-colored, fabric corner-booth. The air was crisp from the smell radiating from the homemade waffle cone. "We should go sledding."

Bones groaned. "Okay, what's wrong with you and Spock?"

He stopped licking his cone and stared at his friend for a few seconds. "What?" He squirmed in his seat.

"Whenever you and Spock have a disagreement that's particularly nasty, you have the genius idea of getting ice cream and going sledding."

"I just thought it would be fun." Jim murmured, looking down.

"In July?" The Enterprise was on Earth for the 4th due to their mutual country pride. They requested a week off in the States. When he got no response, Bones continued "So what's going on with you and Pointy?"

"There really was no disagreement. It's just... it's kinda stupid." He rambled.

He sighed. "It always is. Spill."

"Well, he got a girlfriend."

"Ohhh." Bones responded, giving him a knowing look. "So the hob goblin has been available since you met him, you don't flirt with him, you don't mention any sort of crush, you don't make any indication that you like him, but the moment he gets taken, you realize 'damn. He's pretty hot!' Am I close?"

"It's not like that." He defended and continued to lick the the freezing vanilla ice from the cone in small movements.

"Of course it is." Bones shrugged. "You always want what you can't have."

"That's not true."

"We are out of rocky road ice cream." The cashier announced from where he resided behind the desk. Jim turned and looked at the selection, longingly. I should have chosen that type.

"Look," Bones muttered, bringing his friend's attention back onto himself. "The way I see it, you have two options. One is, you wait and cross your fingers that the relationship crashes and burns. Or number two, which is much more healthy and practical, you move on."

"Yeah, yeah. You're right. Him and I have a good thing going. I wouldn't want to ruin it." A little buzz sound filled the booth and Jim took the comm from his pocket. "Hello."

"Greetings, Captain. It's Spock. I was wondering if you and Leonard wanted to join Emily and I for supper."

For a second, he hesitated. Nothing sounded worse, but if he were to get things back to normal with Spock he would need to comprise. "Can't wait."

When the phone was hung up, Jim put his head in his hands. "Looks like we're having dinner with the happy couple."

Bones laughed. "This should be interesting."

"Why do you enjoy my pain?"

**********

Jim pulled up in his hover car, Bones sprawled out in the passenger seat beside him. "I really don't want to do this." He muttered, leaning towards his chair as he parked. He peered through the window-shield and his blue/hazel (choose your universe, my friend) eyes widened when he saw that the restaurant was more formal than he expected.

"I know," Bones sighed. "But you have to." He was the one to guide his friend into the classical brasserie. Every guest was coated in a suit or dress and live violin music was being played gently in the background.

Jim looked down at his white-and-green-stripped collared shirt and his ripped dark denim jeans. He shot a look over at Bones, who was wearing a black suit and a dark red tie. "Why didn't you warn me!" He hissed, under his breath.