Gravity

.

.

. ** .

.

"Took you long enough to crawl out of that mood of yours. We missed you!" Erica cheered in my ear over the music blasting all around us. An arm wrapped around my neck and Cindy's. "We're going to party it up tonight, girls!!!"

I pulled a smile. Had to hide the foul emotions sloshing in the pit of my stomach. Pretend that everything was fine.

"Find someone to spoil us, yeah?" Erica insisted, almost strangling me with her arm.

"We'll see if we find ourselves a big enough fish to catch," I replied with a tight smile.

"Catch and release, yeah? Like you used to."

I couldn't be bothered to reply and flagged down the bartender instead. "Another fog cutter, please," I ordered, downing half the glass in a few desperate gulps. The third one of the night and the sun just went down.

All I wanted was to forget. Drown him away with booze and senseless noise. How it was before I fell.

"Why don't we go?" he asked as his arms wrapped around my waist, pulling me to him.

"We can't drop everything and go," I argued with a grin, my fingers dusting across stubbled speckled. "You have your avenging, and I can't leave the animals at the shelter."

"We both can use a vacation."

"I guess we do.... But, where would we go, Bucky?"

"Anywhere," he answered, pressing his forehead against mine.

"Oh! Oh! I've always wanted to go to the Maldives! Or! Or Australia! Let's see the kangaroos! And the - the koalas!!"

If my boyfriend wasn't all wrapped around me, I'd be bouncing on my toes in excitement. But going from how he laughed, I had to be bouncing.

"What about you? Anywhere you want to go?" I threw back his way. "What do you want to do?"

A thoughtful pouty frown played at his red lips and bright blue eyes focused on mine. "Why don't we hit up China on the way back and check out the panda cubs as well?"

"Oh my god! Yes! Panda cubs are so adorable!" I squealed as he chuckled softly.

"Alright. We'll go to all those places," he mumbled against my lips before sealing the promise with a kiss.

'He never did tell me where he wanted to go...' I thought bitterly at the memory on the roof.

Or what he wanted to do. He never told me what he wanted.

And we never did leave the city that never slept. Not together.

"How about that one?" Cindy hummed out, pointing with a straw.

"He's in the V.I.P. box. Three bottles of Dom. He's got money," Erica chimed in.

I shook my head, downing another glass of alcohol hidden by sugar. "I'm not his type going by how his gaze never left that other guy's girl."

"Shouldn't be a problem for you."

"I'm not getting between that."

"Party pooper."

"Bucky?" I called out sleepily.

The bed was empty. The spot next to mine, cold.

Been this way since I've been staying the night at the tower. Almost every night.