Chapter 1: Deafies?

So heres the story of how i fell in love. It was 16 year old me walking past Winker Park in NYC with my headphones on listening to Carly Rae Jepsen's "new" song Call Me Maybe at 3:17pm, when a figure popped out from the bushes. It was a woman in a black mask with a gun and she was holding a bag of what seemed like really "Expensive" stuff from posh people. She obviously thought i was "rich" when she said "Give me all your money." I removed my headphones.

"Come again sorry."

"Give me all your money!" Her breath shaking and i could feel her pain. She didn't want to do this.

"No."

"Wait what?"

"I said hell to the no."

"Umm.....errrrr........uhhhhhh.......ok." She scratched the back of her neck, concerned.

"So what were you planning to do with that gun?" I said taking out my phone and pausing the song.

"I don't know."

"Were you planning on doing anything at all?"

"Um, no."

"Wanna grab some coffee?" She looked shocked. She took off her mask and behind it was this stunning round face with a pixie cut brown hair.

"Sure....?" We walked together to the nearest Starbucks with people giving us stares and even some taking pictures.

15 minutes later we arrived and grabbed a seat. We took a nice window seat closest to the back door.

"I'm Lily." She finally said smiling down but looking up. I can see little puffs of red in her cheeks.

"Piquette but people call me Piq." I say looking at her olive green eyes. "So why do you do this? This whole mugging thing?"

"Shhhhhh!" She motions for me to keep my voice down. It's kind of cute though, how her little puffs of red grow bigger and bigger how i asked that question. "I've got to take care of my siblings, moms out most of the day and my dad left us." She frowns.

"Oh..... sorry to hear that." I frown. I tuck my hair behind my ears. I realize i never ever do that. Like ever. I always keep my hair down hiding one of my most personal secrets ever.

LILY'S POV:

So i just got coffee with a victim of my mugging. Wow. Okay. Strange. I tuck a strand of hair behind my ear, and so does she. Is she copying me? I see a shinny object in her ear, then i realize.

"You a deafie too?" I sign to her in ASL. She looked up and froze. She froze with this adorable confused face and her eyes blinking repeatedly. She untucks the hair that she just tucked and looks down. I hope i didn't put her out of her comfort zone. Finally after a minute of silence she raises her hand and signs yes. I whip out my phone and open notes. Maybe she's one of those people who don't like speaking. I type "Lily's and Piq's deaf chat". I slide the phone to her and she stops it with her hand.  She looks up with a frown but i can tell she's trying not to grin. It's one of those faces. I see her fingers typing.

Piq: Been one since day 1

Lily: My cochlea stopped working when i was 2

Piq: 🔇

Lily: Copy my number from my contacts.

She looks up from the phone and smiles. She exits and types the number from my phone into hers.

"Oh crap! I'm supposed to be meeting my boyfriend at 4 and it's 5 to 4!" She says putting her phone in her pocket and getting up grabbing her coffee. "I'm so sorry!"

"It's fine." I smile understanding her circumstances. It's not fine at all. She has a boyfriend? A boyfriend. She waves good bye and exits out the door.

Piq's POV:

Oh. My. Flipping. Gosh. I just like ruined everything. She probably thinks i actually have a boyfriend. No. I do, i won't after i talk to him. We are breaking up. Wait. Do i like her? Oh my gosh.

AFTER PIQ MEETS WITH EX

I take out my phone texting Lily saying: "Hey I'm so sorry!" The typing bubble pops up. It disappears. I frown. It comes back.

Lily: Hey no problem! I understand you had something with your bf.

Piq: **Ex

Lily: No more boyfriend? I'm sorry to hear

Piq: it's alright i hated him anyways😂

Lily: Wow that was brutal

Piq: Wanna meet up again?

Lily: For sure!

I grin. We are meeting up again. I spin around, dance a  little, and then take out my headphones and listen to "I think i'm in love again" and dance once more. 

After a short while i arrive home with a greeting from my Bulldog, Winnie, and i set down my backpack. I walk towards the kitchen seeing my mom cook. My mom actually cooking, shocker.

"Better turn out good." I chuckle setting down my keys on the kitchen island.

"And good evening to you to Lola." She turns around with her hands on her hips. When she's feeling it she calls me by my middle name. She always "feeling it."

"Dad home?" I ask, knowing the answer is no. My dads always working at his business and never have time for family,  always work work work.

"Actually yeah-" Before she continues I run up the stairs dropping everything on the island. I see my dad in his office.

"Daddy!" I run up to him and hug him. He hugs me with the warmest hug ever. He always gives the most comfortest hugs ever.

"Hey Pickle!" He kisses me on the forehead and then frowns.

"Daddy what's wrong?" I frown too, letting go of the hug and getting down on my knees, petting Winnie who's leaning under the desk.

"They fired me...." He bites his lip and rubs his nose. Then i realize...

"My cochlear implant surgery! That's this summer how will you pay for it?" I get up, my eyes open wide. July 13th is my surgery and we haven't payed yet.

"We've got enough money for it don't worry, we will just have to keep the money low on the gas and the food alright munch?" He says forcing a smile. I nod my head knowing it will be okay, he's putting me before everything, he tends to do that when he's not at his job.

"I made a friend! Her names Lily!" I smile thinking about that pixie cut. He messes up my hair and grins.

"That's great Piq!" I'm always in my kiddie self when i'm with daddy.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hope you enjoyed this chapter!

-Bookobsessed