Encounters

Dedicated to all the little girls who wanted to be a damsal in distress....and of coarse, @beautyatwork

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

There is darkness around me and faint glimmer of light ahead of me. It seems as though I am surrounded by nothingness.  There are no houses, no street lights, there's not even any ground. I am literally walking on air, but I keep moving forward...toward a glowing light in the middle of this void. My fingers reach out and touch the shimmering mist. For a second they sparkle and then there is this shearing pain inside my heart and blood, it feels as though I have been poisoned.  Then it's over. There is no rash or burn on me. I feel no different, though I know, in some way I am.

I awake to the familiar smell of bacon. Everyday breakfast is on the table at exactly 6:30 a.m. It is not placed at a setting at 6:29 nor 6:31. We have a daily schedule in my family that is not to be interrupted or disturbed.

Morning Routine: 6:00 a.m.- 6:29 a.m.

Breakfast: 6:30 a.m. - 7:20 a.m.

Backpack/Lunch check: 7:21 a.m. - 7:25 a.m.

In the car: 7:26 a.m.- 8:00 a.m.

School: 8:10 a.m.- 4:00 p.m.

After school activities: 4:01 p.m. - 6:01 p.m.

Car ride home: 6:02 p.m. - 6:36 p.m.

Homework/chores: 6:37 p.m. - 8:37 p.m.

Free time: 8:38 p.m. - 9:00 p.m.

Night routine: 9:01 p.m. - 9:20 p.m.

Load backpack: 9:21p.m. - 9:23 p.m.

Lay clothing out for next day: 9: 24 p.m. - 9:28 p.m.

In bed: 9:30 p.m.

Of coarse this is only my schedule (my parents have a similar one)...and right now I'm slacking. I don't want to get out of bed after being in that nightmare. I don't know what to make of it.  These last few days I haven't been able to understand any of my dreams. I had one where I was out to sea drowning, of one where I stepped on spikes that ran right through my feet, and I had one about large teeth. And then there was today's. What is going on with me? I didn't think my addiction to fairy tales would affect my dreaming habits as well.

"Celeste Lila Kingsly! Get down to the table, immediately!"

My mother is a bit of a control freak when it comes to our family. She believes that we need to spend as much time together as possible. I don't think she realizes I'm a sixteen year old girl who needs her space.

"I'll be there in a minute! Just finishing my hair!"

I ripped my magenta covers back and sprang to my feet. The oak floor was cold to the touch. It was like I had just stepped onto a slab of ice.  I looked over my shoulder at the digital clock on my dresser, it read 6:26 A.M. I had 4 minutes to get down to the table. I glanced down at my grey wrinkled t-shirt. It'll have to do. Leaning down, I grabbed the pair of jeans I wore yesterday. It's not like anyone besides my family saw me in them. I only wore them around the house. I shimmied them up swiftly.

" Celeste!"

I peak in the mirror. My caramel curls fall around my face and my big blue eyes peer back at me. Even in this outfit, I look stunning. The freckles on my face even look like jewels planted in the sand.

"Coming!"

Rushing down the stairs I sat  in my seat. The kitchen clock reads 6:29 a.m.

Perfect.

My mother rounds the corner from the kitchen. She looks at our filled table. Everyone here knows my mom can be crazy if we don't follow the schedule.  However, she's very understanding and loving. She just smiles at me. Sometimes I wonder how I got my looks. I look nothing like my parents. My mom has these chestnut eyes and silky smooth brown hair while my father has black hair and hazel eyes. I'm the ugly duckling in my family. I don't belong.

"Celeste, glad you can join us."

Not only is my mother a gracious women, but she can cook. Before me lies a three coarse meal: bacon, eggs, omelets, waffles,sausage biscuits and gravy, fruit, crepes, and french toast. She was like the younger version of Martha Stewart, or Aunt Jamima. As usual, my family says our prayer and then we stuff our faces.  It's delicious and filling. Sometimes I really don't like my mom for cooking so well, one of these days I'm going to roll out of our house instead of walk.  The clock now reads 7:26, time for backpack and lunch check.

I waddle up the stairs and back into my bedroom. I already know all of my books are in my book-bag because I put them in there last night. My lunch is also packed because my Mom made it due to it being the first day back after Thanksgiving break. So I use this time to my advantage. I sit down in front of my vanity mirror, and comb through my hair thoroughly.  As I look at myself in the mirror, I realize I look like a child. The big round eyes and button nose make me younger than what I am.  Two minutes pass as I comb through my snarls.  Then all of a sudden, I find myself looking straight at a mouse.