Happy Halloween

I felt very excited today. I had been waiting eagerly for this very day. Halloween has arrived at last and I can't wait to go for Amy's party.

I glanced at the clock impatiently waiting for Lara. She promised to arrive at five with Hanna and Rose. It is already five.

I looked in the mirror once again. My sister did a great job with my make up. I really look like a witch. The purple colour suits me well.

I heard the horn of Lara's Ford Fusion and hurried downstairs. Mom shouted from the kitchen, "Maya, be back before midnight and stay safe."

"Yes, mom. I will", I yelled back before closing the front door and rushing to the car at the gate.

Lara was looking gorgeous in her black vampire costume. I turned and saw that Hanna wore the costume of the dead bride and she looked pretty in it. Rose looked different in her reaper's costume.

"I love Halloween especially the costume party", exclaimed Hanna as the car speeded along.

"Do you know that Halloween is the time when the veil between the other world and our world gets thinner?", asked Lara.

"Don't be silly, Lara. That's absolute nonsense." muttered Rose.

Lara looked at me when I didn't say anything. She recognized the curiosity on my face. Her face brightened and she continued, "And that allows spirits to pass through easily to our world. Tonight there will be spirits wandering around maybe even among us."

Hanna's eyes widened and she stuttered, "Does that mean that the rumors I heard about wearing costumes is true?"

I quickly piped in, "What rumours did you hear?" I couldn't resist my curiosity.

"That people wear masks and wear different costumes in order to avoid being recognised by ghosts.", she stammered.

"You think that we can confuse the ghosts by wearing these?" Rose blurted with a loud chuckle.

"They say that the ghosts won't harm those wearing masks or costumes as they would mistake them for fellow spirits." explained Hanna

Although I was a curious cat, I never believed in superstitions. But the atmosphere inside the car had changed now. The party mood dropped and everyone was quiet.

However, as soon as we pulled into Amy's driveway, everyone's mood lifted. Amy was waiting eagerly for us along with Rachel and Janet. As we were getting out of the car, Julia and Sophia, the twins, arrived.

"We can start the party straight away as all of us are here. Come in all of you," Amy announced and led us all inside.

As planned earlier, we decided to begin with games. We all sat in a large circle. Just then Amy's mom came in with the cordless phone, "Sorry to interrupt you kids. Amy dear, you have a call here."

Amy went and attended the phone. Suddenly, she dropped the phone and we all turned towards her. Her face was white as if she had seen a ghost. We all stood up and began to move towards her. She began to back away from us without taking her eyes from us. We looked at each other confused.

"Let's all not surround her", saying that I walked up to her. She quickly turned to me and took hold of my hands. She was trying to say something but she want being able to. She turned back to the others and then looked back at me. I tried to calm her and asked her, "Amy, what's the matter? You know that we all are here with you. There's nothing to worry about. Tell me whatever it is." When she didn't reply, I continued, "Who was on the phone?"

"Julia's and Sophia's mom." she whispered finding it hard to say.

"Is there some problem at their house? Come on Amy, tell me", I pleaded.

"She said - they can't come - to - our party." she somehow managed to say and glanced at the others.

As the words settled in, I cried, "What?"

I looked at the others. Julia and Sophia was standing right among them with worried faces.

How could that be possible? Their mom just called to say they won't be able to come to the party when they are already here. Who could be these, then? Oh god, maybe Lara and Hanna were right. That means we have two spirits with us in our room. What do we do now?

I looked at Amy again. She was clinging to me. All others were expectantly looking at me for an answer. I didn't know what to do.

How do I tell the others? If I announce the news, the spirits might get angered.

Inspite of the fear in my mind, I tried to be brave and said, "We will have to cancel the party. One of her childhood friend passed away." Amy looked at me with confusion.

Rose and Lara came up to comfort Amy. I quickly whispered the matter to Lara. She gulped and looked at Julia and Sophia. They were now sitting on the sofa looking sad. Or were they angry? I told Lara to inform Rose discretely.

I moved to Hanna and Rachel who were standing together and disclosed the secret. Both of them gasped. Rose opened her mouth to say something but I held a hand to it. Just then my mobile vibrated. I slowly took it out and it was a message from Alex, my jealous brother. 

He always liked to spoil my merry moments with something or the other.

What does he want at this time?

I opened the message and read it. It left my mouth hanging open.

HOPE YOU ARE HAVING A WONDERFUL TIME ESPECIALLY WITH THE PRANK CALL AMY RECEIVED FEW MINUTES AGO. 😁

👽👽HAPPY HALLOWEEN👽👽

I hoped you all liked it. Please leave comments and give a 'vote' if you liked it. I just wrote it for a contest and one of the requirements was that the story has to be less than 1000 words. I feared it will be longer but luckily it didn't.

The story ended up 962 words.