1

Hastily opening the door to your small, humble apartment just a train ride away from your college, you threw your bag aside the door as you entered your slightly messy living room. You ignored your homework, as you tiredly walked into the kitchen to make yourself a snack. Luckily, you had restocked your fridge the day before, so you had plenty to eat, and you were feeling much better after your was replenished.

Being a college student was hard. There was a lot of work, you were constantly worrying about your job and future, and most importantly the social scene wasn't as great as people said it would be when they reached college. You were friends with everyone, and people liked you. This involved a good number of girls - you didn't even try to ignore them, because truth to be told, you wanted a girlfriend. But you just couldn't bring yourself to date any of them. They were all good girls for sure, kind, caring, cute. They'd all make good wives for sure, but are you sure you wanted that?

After exiting your kitchen , you jumped and flopped on your sofa, landing face first . Your eyelids slightly ached at the sudden hydration of your closed eyes, and so did the rest of your body ache for a short while upon finally being able to rest against, gravity. You stayed like that for a few seconds, before shifting up and moving your hand over to boot up your original PlayStation.

The game you wanted to play was already in there, you knew exactly what it was. You have played this game almost every day or week since you were a child, and since you had entered college your craving to play this game and it's series was severe. The game was called Vib-Ribbon.
You turned on your slightly large TV, waiting for the little grey box to stutter as it read your favorite disc. As soon as the box introduced itself on your TV, almost smiling at you, you were awoken again, maybe in the same way you have been over a thousand times, to the gentle harp and then a cymbal, of the opening to vib ribbon. The whole screen was black apart from the strange white lines forming shaped that seemed to pulse with the music , and short orchestral number came to an end, as the start screen unfolds with the main protagonist, Vibri, began to sing a sweet tune to perk up the mood and the mysterious nature of the game. The whole screen was still black. Vibri, a vector graphic angular, and frankly crudely drawn rabbit, was dancing around a circle of letters displaying the symbols 'VIB RIBBON' in your native language.
Her cute little singing, repeating the title of the game always seemed to brighten up any bad day. It always put you in a good mood and her cute, Japanese, computer generated voice bounced around in your head just like she bounced around in your mind. Her voice and her game always seemed to give you confidence. As empty as vib ribbon is, you always admired Vibri's positivity and cute actions towards the player, in a game where she dances along a white line in an endless black void. She's made of white lines. To you, everything should be made of white lines. After you selected start, you entered the menu where Vibri said every menu command as you highlighted it. You went on the main courses of the game and after hearing her signature 'Silver!' selecting the silver course, containing your favorite songs for the game. They were made by your favorite band, Laigh and Peace. And though other favorite songs may change, the music in vib ribbon always stayed your number 1.

Vibri was skipping on the line now, signifying the beginning of a song, the beginning of an experience. Through your speakers, love poured out in the form of a song called Sunny day. I'm vib ribbon, the game was played by Vibri skipping on a white line and she must dodge sound generated obstacles, with the use of four buttons on the PlayStation controller ; L1, R1, Down and X. You knew this game like the back of your hand! But you couldn't help but love her adorable jumps and skips when she freestyles in between obstacles.
Later in the song, you heard something hit your window. A teardrop of the sky gently slid down your window as it was followed by another, and another, and soon an army of little sky tears. The rain pattered against your window gently, and it reminded you of loneliness. You then wondered for a long time.
'Am I lonely?' You asked yourself.
No. You had friends. You could open your phone right now and see dozens of messages from your friends. Was it something you should worry about?
Then you thought even harder. Is Vibri lonely?
She was the only character in her game. She only had the endless black void and white line to keep her company.
Of course she's not lonely! She's just a game character. Even her voice is computer generated. She doesn't have her own mind.

Sunny day ended and we begin to play our second silver medal course, a self titled song, called Laugh and Peace. This one was your favourite, because it reminded you of going out to play in the street with your friends when you were little, if you weren't playing Vib-Ribbon.
The song continued as normal. In fact, everything continued as normal because nothing went wrong in the first place.
You said it out loud.
'Vibri?' You spoke.
The screen didn't answer
'Are you lonely?'
And you swore, in that instant on your entire life. The heavens and the universe your PlayStation answered. The stage didn't change, just... Vibri looked at you.
You flicked through your memory bank. Had that ever happened before? Is it a thing that Vibri does?
The last time you remember her doing that was when ... you were little.
You stood up and said these words, in your little, toothy voice :
'Vibri, I love you'
She didn't react in any other way. She just looked.
Her eyes looked like crystals. You couldn't see any depth in them no mater how hard you tried . Her pupils did dilate , though.
You kept looking at her, confused.
She kept looking back at you. As much as you tried to keep your eyes on the obstacles, you could only keep your eyes on her. That was, until you messed up. She didn't scream or jump like usual. She just kept looking at you, and then she slowed the game down. Now this song has a lot of slowdown, but it had never slowed down like this before. It eventually crawled to a halt, until Vibri stopped altogether. She just stood there.
You looked back at your controller and then Vibri again.
Then Vibri spoke.
'No one asks me if I'm lonely.'
Am I dreaming? Am I actually dreaming? You tried pressing buttons on your controller, but it didn't do anything. You had to respond to her.
'No! This isn't happening, I am not talking to my TV screen!' You whispered.
Vibri looked a little sad all of a sudden.
'Oh. I'm sorry if I scared you...'
'No, it's okay.'
'Hey. A friend of mine told me your name. I hope it's not actually... AssPussyDestroyer69.'
'Oh Vibri!!' You said. That was your save name on Mojib-Ribbon, the vib ribbon spinoff.
'Wait, it is??'
'No no! It is actually (Y/N).'
'Wow!' Vibri said, with her hands on her face.
'That's a cute name!'
'Your name is cute too, Vibri!' You smiled.
'Awh! (Y/n)! That's so nice of you to say!'
'My pleasure... but... how the hell are we talking to eachother?'
'Hey it's simple! I live in your PlayStation's RAM! I'm about as real as you are even if my voice is computer generated!'
'Woah! But are you like ... an AI or something?'
'Um, I don't know! I don't have the urge to say the same thing twice, though.'
'You're a real person. A real girl!'
'It's cool, right? According to the game's code, I'm not supposed to be acting like up this. But you asked me... if... I was lonely.'
'Spill the beans.' You replied. 'I'm listening...'
'I'm the only character in my game. There's no one ... like me. That's not to say I'm lonely all the time! When I'm not being played by you, I can talk to everyone in your PlayStation collection, even on your PS2!'
'So you really aren't lonely, huh...'
'I still... feel a little bit lonely. The world feels like a flat plane. I am restricted to this line. But now that I can actually talk to you, it's not going to be that bad!
'Of course.'
'So let's make a promise. Whenever you're not busy, you can come talk to me! If you just want to play my game that's fine too. I want to know what the human world is like, because sometimes just pictures in Vib-Ripple aren't enough! You can't take me everywhere until you get a PSP.'
'I'm sorry, I don't have one. I'll try saving up for one, though.'
'Woah there! You live in an apartment. You should be paying for your rent! Don't worry about me - I'm perfectly fine right here.'
'Wow, you sure do understand. Work is a nightmare but it pays well.'
'Hm. Tell me about it, please!'
And so you told Vibri about your work. How your boss probably hates you but can't find a reason to fire you, how your co workers are annoying and trying to get in your pants, and how gross the workplace is. It paid well however, and you needed the money to afford both your college and your apartment as well as living expenses. How you could save worked overtime , but your exams are coming up soon
'So then!' She said. 'Why are you playing if your exams are coming up?' She said, sassily.
'Because I love vib ribbon! Damn, do I really have to explain that?'
'Hee hee! I know already.' She said.
You spent the rest of the night chatting to her. She was interesting! Cute and seemed to be able to talk about anything. You didn't want to go to bed though, and when it was time she had to tell you to go to bed. As soon as you got home from college you knew what you were going to do.