Chapter One -- Darker Knights

Chapter One

Darker Knights

Update 10/14/18

Song Recommendation -- Grand Piano by Nicki Minaj

~~~

I ran as fast as I could, my feet pattering the frozen-over snow. It pains me but I trudge faster, harder. He couldn't catch me now, not that I could practically taste the freedom dangle just a mere couple feet away.

'More, more.' I need more energy to go, as my wolf was now redundant for years. Years of him. My clothes were either sticking to my skin from sweat dripping off of me, or fallen on the ground. He never gave me new clothes, I've had this since I was twelve. Flashbacks of once happy memories appear, more of my step mother.

Her soft skin was always paradise, she always loved me. Always cared for me in ways a mother would. In ways my mother never had the chance to since she was the one who would save me from him at times. When he would go on a rampage, breaking things like vases and me. I was told he was once a happy person when my mother was alive. That he would always wear a smile, I have never once seen it. She died giving birth to a monster like me, he would say.

Velvet, was her name. Mine is Zephyr, her dying wish was to name me something that symbolized a gentle breeze, in hopes that if she wasn't here to raise me that that's how I would know she was with me. Ironic that I haven't felt the breeze in years since he always had me locked up somewhere. Nineteen years of being afraid. Of being held a hostage in my own home.

There was a small time-period where I thought he would pity me from his tantalizing tantrums, where I could breathe fresh air without feeling a bruise somewhere on me. Where life could be something a little more than normal. Something stabilizing. I push harder through the gushing cold wind as the thought of him behind me, scared to memory, made me flash back.

All I could rely on was my human legs, no wolf since she's been gone for a long time. She appeared a couple times but each time my father found a way to make my own wolf leave me. Even with her gone I had her stamina yet I shiver from the thought and feel my lungs expanding from the bitterness of the wind. It seems like I'd never have a chance to be free in this world as even now that I run as far as I can, I'm still being held down.

Held down by myself and the nature around me. The nature that I couldn't even spend a minute to admire. I find myself making a turn as a building that didn't look so familiar, so that must mean I was far enough for now. I skid into speed walk as I walk into the abandoned looking shed, before looking for something to hold the door shut for now. There was a loose limped metal bucket in the corner that seemed rusted and broken. I place it right behind the door as an alarm in case something tried to open the door and head to the only window that the shed had. I sit with my legs pulled up to my chest as I hugged it.

Feeling the heaviness start again.

It all starts 20 years ago, before I was born. A girl named Velvet meets a boy named Retie, they fall in love, mates to-be. A quick romance later they're having a girl, me but the story changes when Velvet falls victim to an illness during her pregnancy. Velvet, a northern wolf, traditional in all sense but her own wanted to be a mother for as long as she could possibly know what a mother was responsible for but knowing she wouldn't be able to see whom she births leaves her burden in the arms of a now changed man.

My father wanted to wait, wanted to explore the world with her and have her to herself as he was a southern wolf, whom are more in-tune with their wolves than their humans' side. Velvet dies a couple days of her daughter's birth to which my father didn't take kindly. He didn't want me. He wanted her and no matter how hard he tried there was always a reminder of her in me. My eyes were hers. My voice was hers. My character would've been hers. But at the age of three was when it started, first it was yelling over miscellaneous things that a three-year-old would do. Then came the punishments. Then the beatings.