The Morning Everything Changed

Play with song. -author

I woke up panicking. Hot sweat dripping down my back.
'I should have known... I should have known!' I scream to myself as I sat in the corner of an old corrupted room.

There were no windows nor a door seen with the naked eye, and I felt trapped.

I have never once in my lifetime felt so utterly helpless. I could faintly hear the scream of a woman.

I couldn't help them... I couldn't move, scream, or speak. And then the screaming got closer... 'Evangeline!'

'She's coming...'

I felt a sharp pain in my chest... Someone put pressure on my ribs.

'Evangeline please!'

'Wake up'

'Evangeline you have to get up!

'It's too late.. There here.. I'm sorry we have to go..' someone whispered into my ear

"Evangeline! Get up!"

"Evangeline! Get up this instant!"

"EVANGELINE!"

I open my eyes to see Sister Mara standing over my bed with a fiery red face and a metal bucket in hand. My bed and myself are soaked to the bone and ice cold.

I woke up late... again.

The maidens face is wrinkled and sagging. Her crooked black teeth forming into a vial grin, satisfied to see me miserable and shaking. Her beady green eyes—with pupils that seem slanted, as if staring a vicious cat in the eyes. Her gray matted hair was covered by a long black veil that hung to her knees. And her long skinny hand— that looked as if it belonged to a witch slowly crept up to my head, she suddenly gripped my hair. I could feel her claws rupture my scalp as the new brusies formed as she yanked my head to the side. I could feel the whiplash and I slammed against the floor. My neck burned with pain along with my boney side creating new brusies from the harsh cold floor.

"Get up you revolting girl!"

What a horrible old hag.

I slowly arise and look around as I am the only child not out of bed. The room is completely empty with several beds laying against the wall, freshly made, with a chest at each end covered with an extra blanket. On each chest there was a number, the number represented each child in the orphanage- I was number 13.

"Yes, Sister Mara. Sorry sister Mara"

"I have told you several times that I wanted you up and ready in the morning!That I wanted all of your house chores done by the time I got up!"

"No wonder why your parents left you! You ungrateful brat!" I winced and she grinned her vial grin before she left

And there I sat... on the ground soaking wet and freezing.. isn't that just wonderful?

~🌸~

I silently crept downstairs, after getting ready, as to avoid any more conflict with others. By the time I made it in the dining room for breakfast, I had many glares from my peers—although some of the younger children looked at me with sympathy.