Chosen Saniwa and Konnosuke

An ordinary day begins with a nice warm shower and breakfast consisting of toast, eggs, and a cup of pipping of coffee. An ordinary day begins with me leaving home dressed in my uniform and heading out. An ordinary day begins talking with my friends during my break. It does not count as an ordinary day...when one finds a plush like fox that is lying unconscious on the side of the road due to hunger. It was releasing a weird sound as its stomach growled loudly.

"Poor little thing. Here, let's get you something to eat."

Lifting up the little guy, I carried him home with me. Since it's a fox...maybe it'll like fried tofu? I bought some for udon, but...well, it's fine! I warmed up half of the tofu and I put it on a plate in front of the little guy. I waited only three seconds before it woke up...and began to gobble down the fried tofu. Cute~! It looks super cute gobbling up the tofu!

"So you are alive, for a second I almost thought that you were a stuffed animal and not an actual fox!"

"S...Saniwa-dono!"

"...Heh?" I froze, did it just. "D-Did...you...just talk...?"

"You were the one I had been searching for! Thank you for saving my life, Saniwa-dono!"

"...Did I hit my head?" I held my head in my hand, looking up the ceiling. "Is this a dream...? A fox cannot possibly talk...can it?"

"This is no dream, Saniwa-dono."

"..."

"I am Konnosuke! I am a representative of the Goverment of Time." There was a stunned silence when his stomach growled again. "Ah..."

"...Can you eat udon?"

"Do you have anymore fried tofu?"

"Yeah."

I quickly prepared more food for the little fox and I watched it eat...as I attempted to process what the heck just happened. Once Konnosuke finished eating, he explained to me why he was out...and why he almost died due to hunger. Apparently, I'm the source of a huge amount of spiritual power and I'm being recruited to be a Saniwa.

"...Can I keep my electronics?" I asked hoping I could.

"Only a select few. Also, you are to dress yourself in traditional garments when you are working." Konnosuke said on my lap as I petted his tail.

"Doesn't sound so bad...what about the pay and such?"

"About...this much?" Konnosuke held up his paw, while tempting to touch. I can't tell what he means at all. "You'll be compensated for your health and whatever danger you'll be placed in. As we only have 24 Saniwa at this time, you are desperately needed!"

"R...really...?"

"Please! I beg you! We need your help!"

"..." Must...resist...but fox...too cute! Konnosuke looked up at me with teary eyes and I gave up. "I'll do it. Just give me a few days to make arrangements."

"Thank you, Saniwa-dono!"

Damn my weakness for cute things. Konnosuke helped me make arrangements over the next few days. I had to send all my unused belongings to my parent's home as I don't know how long I'll be gone so it's better to break the lease on my apartment than letting my things collect dust. I informed my friends that I had a job offer I couldn't exactly refuse and...I managed to take quite a few of my electronics with me. It only took five days and on the morning of the sixth day since I met Konnosuke...we were at my new home. The Citadel.