33 - Hint, Hint, Hint!

During lunch, (Name) peered out of the classroom window with a little pout on her face. In her haste that morning to get to school before Ranma, she had forgotten her lunch in the fridge at home. She had enough money for a sandwich down at the cafeteria bar, but the rowdy crowd would be a hassle to get through.

She stood up and sighed. "Guess I've got no choice..."

"Hey, (Name)!" (Name) turned toward the friendly voice. It was Ukyo, smiling at her from the back of the classhood where she had set up her okonomiyaki grill. "Why don't you save your money and let me make you an okonomiyaki, huh? It's on me."

"Why is it on you?" The Tendo girl strolled over to the grill. "Are you planning on trying to bribe me?"

"Bribe you? Now, why would I do a thing like that? I just want to talk to you about this whole awkward situation we're both in." Ukyo began to make the okonomiyaki as she continued. "I understand that you and Ranma have been engaged for a while now. He's even living with you and your family."

(Name) sat down at an empty desk near her. "That's true."

"But, do you and Ranma... love each other?"

She blushed and asked in embarrassment, "W-what kind of question is that?!"

Ukyo blinked innocently, "The 'yes or no' kind. It's fine if you don't want to answer. I guess it's none of my business, anyway." She flipped the pancake onto a nearby paper plate and passed it over to (Name).

"Are you sure you don't want any money for it? I'm willing to haggle a price."

Ukyo smirked. "You know, Ranma Honey asked about you this morning after you ran off. He seemed like he wanted to talk. I'll bet he wants to talk about this situation, too."

"Ukyo, listen to me." (Name) took a breath. "No matter how much either of us might want to be Ranma's fiance, it's up to him who he chooses. No competition or challenge between us will make that choice for him, and we can't force him to choose one of us."

"But, who's to say that we can't sway his opinion? After all, Ranma and I have been friends since childhood. You were there when he saw me again; remember how happy he was?"

'Before you attacked him, you mean?' (Name) thought snarkily to herself.

"If Ranma chooses me, he'll have someone that he can talk to as his fiance. After all, isn't it everyone's secret dream to marry their childhood sweetheart?"

(Name) skewed her mouth a bit before asking, "But, how are you childhood sweethearts if Ranma thought you were a boy?" Ukyo frowned a little as she grunted in annoyance. "Seems like it's more your dream than everyone's."

The brunette crossed her arms and narrowed her eyes at (Name) Tendo. "You still haven't eaten your lunch."

"I left my lunch at home. I can just buy something from the cafeteria."

Just then, Akane came into the classroom and saw her sister talking with Ukyo. She frowned at them before approaching the young chef. "Hey, Ukyo."

"Hello. I remember you from this morning; you were walking with Ranma Honey." She glanced between the two Tendos. "Ha! If I didn't know any better, I'd say you were twins."

"You should, cause we are," Akane said. "If you're bothering my sister about Ranma, I suggest you back off."

"Oh, are you engaged to Ranma, too?"

Akane scoffed, "Of course I'm not!"

"Then, stay out of it," Ukyo said with her hands on her hips. "This isn't your battle to fight."