Book One - Part IV - The Food Planet

Copyright © 2016 Christian Elbert & Explore Comic Books Travis Herdt – Cover Art

This book is a work of fiction. Names, characters, places and incidents are either products of the author's imagination or are used fictitiously. Any resemblance to actual events, locales or persons, living or dead, is entirely coincidental. No part of this publication may be reproduced or transmitted in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical, without express written permission from the author.

INTRODUCTION

By the early twenty-second century, Terra could no longer provide for its inhabitants. Humanity had been consuming too much, too quickly. Decades of conflict over Terra's remaining natural resources led to massive shortages, deprivation, and loss of life. Terra's population was precipitously declining. These perilous circumstances forced world leaders to work together for the common good and for the survival of the species.

In the year 2125, the Leadership Council was formed. Its goal was encapsulated in both its founding constitution and its mission statement: "Become better caretakers of Terra."

Since resources were scarce, Terra turned to space. More and more ships were built to mine raw materials from gas planets and asteroids. By 2160, many nearby asteroids were being exploited and a Terran settlement had been established on Luna.

Getting resources to Terra took far too long. Accidents further delayed shipments and time was running out. Many feared it was too little, too late. Hope was fading when an unexplained phenomenon was discovered—an invisible doorway through space!

With very little effort, Terrans could travel to the Strolla System and back again—a distance of over 21 light years—in a matter of minutes. The discovery was considered a miracle.

Astronauts Jeremiah Eanex and Victor Belter discovered "Angel's Gate" in 2176 and were immediately hailed as planetary heroes. The newly discovered Strolla System was composed of two distinct planets orbiting the Strolla star, named Nova and Hydra. As the first humans to find intelligent life and confirm the existence of extraterrestrials, their legendary status was assured for all ages.

The Terrans began exploring the planets under the watchful eye of the Novans and Hydrans. Through Victor Belter's diplomacy, these two worlds agreed to share their natural resources so that Terrans could survive. Within a generation, Terran settlements and mining operations were established on Nova's rocky surface and on Hydra's watery, oceanic shores.

Since its discovery 25 years ago, young men and women grew up dreaming about traveling through Angel's Gate on a life-saving mission. This is their story—the chronicles of those brave men and women who work and live beyond Angel's Gate.

Their story is now called...

STAR MISSIONS