Prologue

Omkara

They say time heals... the longer the time that passes, the lesser the pain... they're wrong. It is time that causes the most pain. It is time that bears witness to the most heinous atrocities, then after a long wait brings about inevitable repercussions. Time caught up to Omkara Singh Oberoi one Tuesday... it brought about long awaited punishment for his greatest crime – his inexplicable inability to ever trust his wife. That Tuesday Omkara discovered that he had failed, not just as a husband, but to an even greater degree as a father.

When Gauri had announced her pregnancy, he had been nervous, anxious, to a certain degree hesitant, but ultimately... overjoyed. Little had he known that his old habit of misunderstanding Gauri would rear its ugly head and wreak havoc in their lives once more. Little had he known that those he trusted most would let their own greed of being the most valuable destroy his little happily ever after before it had even properly arrived. Rage at those he was unfortunate enough to call family seared through him, before being dosed in the reality of his own sins. Wave after wave of regret slammed against him, his battered heart a worn shore for this unruly sea of guilt.

He had let this happen. He had accused his poor wife of the worst sins. He had let his little girl grow up with doubts as to her parentage, bereft of a father's love. He had shirked his duties for far too long.

As tears streamed down his face at the unjustness of it all, he vowed to correct his wrongs by whatever means necessary. He would win back all he had lost. 

Ishika

Hate had festered in her mind like a dormant disease. These selfish smiling faces that made infrequent 'kind' gestures towards her mother in an attempt to make themselves feel less inhuman... these plastic personalities who preached about their strength in familial bonds, but really were the furthest thing from a functioning family. She hated them. She hated them with every breath, every heartbeat. As her heart pumped out the blood carrying vital oxygen needed for her to live, she often-times found herself praying in the stillness of the night for it to stop. For that travelling blood that kept her alive was also what ailed her most. The blood in her veins was her connection to this sea of pretenders. The tie between herself and the Oberois. The ultimate proof of how deeply Omkara Singh Oberoi had wronged her mother. In the hardest moments she had come close to ending it all, only the visage of her mother's face steadying her hand. Without her, would Mumma not be left alone? So she pushed through it. She studied. She studied so hard, because she was going to achieve something. She would show these Oberois that she did not need to be as filthy as they were to survive. Ishika Sharma did not need them. Her mother did not need them. And one day, she would prove it to them all.