Prologue

Harry Potter and the Elder Race 

Sibyll Tres_looney

Prologue

At some point in the time of the unknowable past, amidst the chaos of the birthing of a million suns, a tiny rip of imbalance, an imperfection - dark and menacing - came into being. In the beginning, it was just a minutiae - negligible in the greater scheme of things - as the universe struggled to bring light and order and, ultimately, life into existence. And so this thing, which was nothing more than a tiny pinprick of darkness, rode the great emptiness of space and time, brooding its irrelevancy, its inconsequentiality, until time itself and the destruction and ruin of dying worlds, fed its festering being 'til it grew, slowly, and became... aware.

For thousands of millennia it prowled the vast emptiness of the universe, desiring purpose for its being by destruction. And so it sought that which allowed it scope, glorying in the obliteration of worlds it came upon, 'til it reached a flourishing world out upon the edges of a galaxy, accompanying the rain of deadly meteorites that annihilated the mightiest living creatures of that time (which one day future sentient beings would call the Dinosaurs), a destruction that allowed the emergence of a new type of beings - the Mammals.

For hundreds upon hundred-thousands of years it witnessed the flourishing of life, and having without substance itself, begrudged the life that seemed to swarm all around it, moving through it but itself never becoming a part of such living vibrancy. But it bided its time and waited 'til it could wreak the most havoc and destruction.

Millenia of time later, a race of beings arrived upon the earth. They were the eldest, the firstborn of all humanoid races, the first in the entire universe. Through the refinement of time and generations they had attained the height of evolution, closest to the One, the Creator. Thus were they called the Elder or the Eternal race, though later, humans of this planet would call them the Elven, 'the White Ones' in the Olden Tongue. To them was given the task to look after this paradise, this oasis of life in the vast emptiness of space, endowed as they were with the gift of nurturing and protecting life, of ensuring that life - so rare and precious in this alone universe - abideths. They had travelled across vast distances of space and time to be the guardians of this planet, and its most precious inhabitant --- man.

~o~

30 October 1979 

Modern Era, Time of Man

Kingdom of the Elder Race 

The Emerald Glade, somewhere in the Scottish Highlands

If heaven could be found anywhere here on earth, it would be here, in this hidden valley called Imraudden in the Ancient Tongue, where no frost or bitter wind or overcast sky could mar the beauty nestled in its protected glade. At the center of the glade stood a mighty structure, its very walls seemed to glow from a light within, very like the High Elves who lived in this forest. The walls and towers of the structure have a rounded edge, but topped with serrated spires and pinnacles, giving off the impression not unlike that of a sheathed sword.

On the balcony on the second floor of the main palace, stood the Elf King, Lord Eldridge - tall, white-haired, and fair of faces as was usual of his kind, though unusual was the expression of fear that drew his face into sharp, angular panes.

"You called, my Lord?" a soft, lilting voice called from behind him as the Elf-Queen approached.

The High King did not look back but continued to stare far off in the distance. The Queen patiently waited as she stood slightly behind him, her ethereally beautiful face equally marred with fear and worry. At length, the Elf King spoke, his voice gravely low.