Like a Brother

In case you wondered; it didn't end up in a hard make out session

In case you wondered; it didn't end up in a hard make out session. We just stood there; lip on lip and in total silence. We didn't even move. It was as if everything froze, but just when time, people, everything around us froze, something came to life in my heart; hope.

That is, until Duke called.

This time, when Avery reached for his phone in his pocket, he didn't answer it, he just handed the phone over to me when he saw the caller ID.

"I've bought you about fifteen more seconds Scarlet," he says. "Meet me at the parking, we're leaving."

I give the phone back to Avery, and before any of us can say anything, the elevator starts going downwards again, making him stumble a bit before he catches his balance again.

When the elevator reaches the bottom floor, I try to escape him without saying another word.. And also, the key word is try.

He grabs my wrist.

"Did I do that?" he asks.

"What?" I ask.

He strokes my arm, and I look down, seeing the mark his grip left. "It doesn't matter, it's nothing important."

"It is. Does it hurt?"

"No."

Just if you touch it, but since it's you you can hit it with a hammer and I won't complain.

"I'm sorry."

He pulls me into his embrace once more, and it's when we hear someone clear, what I know is, his throat that I let go, which I instantly regret since his embrace was warm, and well, his.

"Sorry to disturb," Duke says, relieving me. "But I said fifteen seconds, and we can't afford staying longer."

He drags me out and pushes one of the buttons in the elevator. He starts walking with a tight grip around my wrist, and before I can protest to his sudden dad act and his hurry, he shoves me inside his car, less than a second later jumping inside as well.

With a roar he leaves the parking, and is driving on the highway.

"Do you feel better?" he asks.

"Yeah," I answer. "Thanks."

"I didn't do anything."

"I'm not stupid Duke, I know you're the reason that elevator stopped."

"What can I say; I like happy endings. Especially Cinderella's."

"Stop it. What's with people comparing me to Cinderella?"

"You are Cinderella. You're living a hell because of an evil mother and her two minions, and you've got your Prince Charming, who you had to leave when time stroke midnight."