1/1

To most, Renjun seemed cold. Chenle could testify - this was true. He was like a glacier; silent but unmoving and, therefore, dangerous. It was four pm on a Tuesday when the world decided to test his conviction towards that statement.

"I can't believe," Renjun huffed, "you actually managed to lock us in here."

Chenle rolled his eyes for the nth time that hour. "I said I was sorry, would you let it go already?"

The elder's eye twitched, scrutinizing his lime-haired companion. "If you think I'm gonna let this go, you'd best think again."

"Of course." Chenle watched a puff of white float up as he released an exasperated sigh, sliding down the frosty plastic that trapped the pair. It had only been twenty minutes since their manager sent them to the industrial freezer in the back of the storage container, and fifteen since Chenle had dropped the keys outside, but he had never heard Renjun talk so much in one sitting. His co-worker was usually quiet and reserved, preferring to only speak when taking someone's order or complaining to Mark about the girl that came in every Tuesday and ordered an iced, half-caffeine, ristretto, venti, 4-pump, sugar-free, cinnamon, dolce soy skinny latte. She was a bit of an urban legend in the staff room, but it was always Renjun that got stuck taking her order. It didn't seem like that would be the case today, however.

"Honestly, you'd think people these days would have at least some functioning brain cells, but I guess not." If it wasn't for the sub-zero temperatures threatening to freeze his face off, Chenle would've feigned offence, maybe even thrown in a gasp and heart-clutch for dramatic effect, but he was far too cold for that, preferring to tug his black cardigan tighter around himself in a feeble attempt to fend off the frigidity that attacked him from all around. Shivering, he ignored the strange, distant sounds of Renjun shuffling around and closed his eyes. It was stupid, but he hoped that maybe he could think some heat into existence, maybe if he focused hard enough, he could trick his body into not letting him die of hypothermia.

He was so concentrated on his self-hypnosis that he didn't notice the shuffling sound getting closer and closer until it stopped right next to him. It was only when he felt pressure against his shoulder, did he notice Renjun sitting next to him, staring. His eyes conveyed only the most obvious emotions - curiosity and concern, not to mention the healthy portion of confusion that clouded his expression. Immediately, Chenle noticed the heat that radiated off the other, drawing him in. It surprised him, considering how long they'd been stuck in here for - and the older wasn't even wearing a jacket.

When Renjun slid closer, Chenle honestly thought he was hallucinating. They were so close. Knees clashed whenever one of them moved and shoulders pressed together as if glued in place.

"Are you okay? Cold?" Renjun used a tone of voice Chenle had never heard him use. It sounded like something one would use when speaking to pets or children, although Chenle was far too distracted to come to such a conclusion. The way Renjun whispered - as if speaking any louder would cause something to come crashing to the ground - sent shivers down his spine, though that could've been something to do with sitting in a freezer for an extended period of time. He just about managed to nod his head, neck having stiffened in the artificial August wintertime.

Renjun's movements were slow, unhurried, but Chenle was hyper-aware of each minuscule motion. The older lifted his arm, gradually stretching until the limb lay on Chenle's shoulder, gently wrapping around his upper arm. Warmth seeped through his uniform and he promptly curled into the hold, too desperate for the heat the other radiated to consider embarrassment. It was minutes later, when his brain cells had defrosted, that he felt the belated mortification his actions invoked. He thought about moving away, but Renjun took that moment of stillness to drape his other arm around Chenle, effectively trapping him in an embrace.