Chapter 1

Nine-thirty in the evening found the district of Sasazuka relatively peaceful. You were humming a melody to yourself while slightly swinging your grocery bags back and forth. You loved shopping at night since the queues were always short and traffic was light. Nobody bothered you. It was like your personal meditation session.

Your mind traveled back to the events that happened earlier that day. It was rare for you to tell somebody about your past, but there was just something in Urushihara Hanzo that made it easier to tell. Was it because he didn't care? Maybe. Was it because he was neutral? Possibly. Since he was of a different world, the biases of Earth didn't apply to him. After you left, you noticed your chest felt a lot lighter, like a weight was lifted off your shoulders. It was like talking to a psychologist...or a magical brick wall.

Plus he looked so cool when he had his wings out. You always imagined they would feel dry and stiff...who knew that they would feel the exact opposite? It wasn't easy for the purple-haired teen to bring them out because of his limited powers, but he made an exception because you asked nicely.

Or was it because of the Bocky?

You shrugged. Oh well. A promise is a promise. You bought five boxes of the popular snack. Never let it be said that I don't keep my promises.

A pause, and then: I hope he likes strawberry and green tea flavors.

Also... I want to touch his wings again.

The familiar, slightly worn-down roof of your apartment slowly came into view. You noticed to your glee that the lights of room 201 were still on. You continued humming while carefully climbing the rickety stairs, pausing your song just a bit to open the door.

"Urushihara, I already told you to put your dirty dishes in the sink thrice! Get off the computer already!" Ashiya's lecture was the first you heard.

A pause, then you heard the NEET reply in his usual lackadaisical voice, "Yeah yeah, I'll do it later."

"Now!"

"Fine, fine! Geez."

You giggle softly to yourself and went straight to your room to put down your groceries. Canned goods, instant noodle bowls, and bottles of Galpis hit the surface of your low dinner table in the center of the room. The selection was less than healthy, but since your salary was two weeks away and your funds were close to depletion, you had no choice but to tighten your belt and hope for the best.

I just hope I don't get kidney stones or something. Heaven knows healthcare is anything but cheap in this country.

With that out of the way, you swiped the bag containing Urushihara's treats and went out of the room once more.

*

*

*

The sound of the faucet running was the first thing you heard when you stopped by the three demons' room. Ashiya-san must be washing the dishes, you presumed. Well, as if Urushihara-kun would voluntarily do that, anyway.

You rang the door bell. The sounds immediately stopped.

"Urushihara...that better be not one of your Jungle deliveries again," Ashiya grumbled.

In your head, you imagined the purple-haired teen roll his eyes while still tinkering with his laptop. "As if. Jungle never delivers packages in the evening, Ashiya."

"Whatever, can you answer the door already?"

"You're the one standing closest to the door, you answer it."