Loner

September 1st, 1989

"Love you, Mommy!" Philip said as he sped through the door on his first day of school.
Eliza Hamilton, his mom, giggled. "I love you too, sweetie!" Alexander Hamilton ran to the door and waved.
"Bye," he called, pushing his glasses up,  clutching a pile of paperwork spilling out from all directions.

With a spring in his step, Philip bounded up to the classroom happily, looking around hopefully at the students in his new class.

"Ah, Philip Hamilton?" said the teacher, Miss Starlit. "Seat B2, row 8, Column 9." Staring perplexed at the teacher tried to guide himself towards a seat, of which he assumed was right. After all, in nursery, he was allowed to sit where he wanted.

"I don't want to sit next to you, LOSER!" said a frowning boy in a plaid top and filthy jeans.

"George!" said Miss Starlit. "Please be kind. You know what it was like on your first day of school. But actually, Philip, darling, you sit opposite George, next to Clara." Philip felt an immediate warmth to this considerate teacher, so kind and gentle and not all demanding.

Clara was a small, plain girl, with oval glasses hitched high up her nose, her lanky hair barely reaching her shoulders. She gave a gappy smile at Philip as he sat down.

"Hello!" said Clara, holding her hand out to Philip. "I'm Clara."

"Yes, I know." said Philip a little warily, wondering if he should be gentlemanly and stick his hand out to meet hers. Clara sensed this, and immediately took her outstretched hand and made it into a shaky wave.
"aHhHhH!" George yelled from the sidelines. "REJECTED!"

"George?" said Miss Starlit.

"Yes, Miss?" George said ignorantly, boldly and bravely.
"Is that the way we behave in a classroom environment?" she asked. "No. Now, you see that bench over there? Could you please install your behind on it and stay there for - how old are you - 5? 5 minutes please." The whole class giggled at the word behind, all except for Philip.

"You what?" said George.

"George Eacker,  if you proceed to be insolent one more time, I shall have you sent to the headmaster. I suggest you sit down on that bench in 5 seconds otherwise you will find yourself sitting down outside my classroom waiting for Mr Millings."

Bashfully, George went and sat on the bench quickly. He let out a stifle of a laugh as everyone stared at him, but his eyes were red with rage and his arms as strong as steel. The fire in his throat was like a dragon, crackling and boiling, ready to explode. His words were simple.

I'm going to get you.