The Question

Betinna knows she must walk faster but her bleeding foot is begging her to rest. She is in agony but she has to find her dog Mahalla.

They go to the beach every Sunday morning. When they set foot on the sand, Betinna takes off her shoes and removes Mahalla's leash.

The November breeze is getting colder. Betinna zips up her coat and tightens the scarf on her neck as she searches for uniquely-shaped shells on the sand.

Plastic bottles, beer cans and candy wrappers are scattered on the beach.

Betinna shakes her head annoyingly.

"How can people leave their trash on the beach?"  

She picks a few plastic bottles and tosses them far from the water.

Mahalla is happily running on the beach enjoying the mild waves. Betinna sprints next to Mahalla and stumbles when her left foot sinks into a thick shard of plastic. The shard is a broken phone case.

Betinna sits on the sand groaning. She slowly pulls the shard from the arch of her foot and threw it angrily behind her.

Mahalla approaches and sniffs the bleeding foot. She barks and runs away.

"Mahalla, come back!"

The dog runs continuously till Betinna cannot see her anymore.

Betinna pulls the scarf from her neck and wraps it tightly around her foot. She limps on the sand leaving blood on her footprints.

Betinna calls Mahalla's name repeatedly.

"Mahalla! Where are you?"

"Hello."

Betinna looks behind her.

"Who's there?"

"Here."

"Where?"

"Down here."

Betinna follows the voice. She is startled to see a face half-buried in the sand. The face has a neon yellow complexion with neon green hair and eyebrows. She quickly moves to leave but the creature's hand grabs her left ankle. Betinna groans in pain.

"My left foot is hurt. Please let go of my ankle."

"Don't go."

Betinna fearfully stays still and looks at the face below. The creature has neon green eyes. Her fear has now been replaced with curiosity.

"Why are you buried in the sand?" Betinna asks.

"That should not be the question. The question should be; how much do you love your dog?"

Taken aback by the question, Bettina moves her left ankle and kicks furiously.

"My dog? Where is she? Where is Mahalla?"

"That should not be the question. The question should be; how much do you love your dog?"

The fear has returned.

"I'm Bettina," Bettina says trying hard to sound calm.

"What's your name?"

"That should not be the question. The question should be..." the creature and Betinna say in unison.

"Stop mocking me."

The creature twists her ankle. Bettina groans in pain and kicks as hard as she could.

Betinna looks around her. There's no one there. This beach is usually crowded in the afternoon but there is no one around.

"What do you want?"

"Finally, you asked the correct question. I want you to clean this beach. Pick up all the trash you see and I will return your dog."