A Cotton Bud for Mommy

A seahorse couple, Rose and Jack, are newly wed. They love on each other. After the mating, Rose transfer her eggs to Jack which Jack self-fertilizes in his pouch for almost 4 weeks. After a long process of giving birth, their clutch of hundreds of eggs when a massive waves of plastic garbage attacks. Jack is knocked unconscious and wakes up to find his Rose, and all but one of the eggs gone. He names this last egg Sydney, a name that Rose had chosen to remind them where they met.

Jack raise Sydney by him-self. Jack never marry again. Because, a Every single day, Sydney kept asking how does his mom look like. Jack told the story how the separation happened.

"A massive waves of plastic garbage attacks?", Sydney as become bigger when he listened that.

Jacked nodded.

"But how could?"

"Did the bigger fish did that?"

Sydney asked again.

"No..." Jack answered.

"So?"

"Human did."

"But how? Do they live in ocean?"

"No dear, they live in the land. The ocean is full of waste because humans have disposed of it carelessly,"

"With global production of plastic increasing exponentially, the amount of plastic finding its way into the ocean is likely to get much bigger." Jack again.

Sydney looked his daddy eyes.

"Plastic is widespread in the open ocean, but is particularly concentrated in the five major ocean gyres — rotating currents of water — in the Pacific, Atlantic and Indian Oceans." Jack again.

"And you know what impact does plastic have on marine animals?" Jack asked.

Sydney shook his head.

"Animals get wrapped up in monofilament fishing line nets, plastic bags, balloons, and straps."

"The worst is issue is the impact of eating plastic. These plastics can cause blockages of the gut or perforation of the intestines. Ingestion of plastic can also cause toxic chemicals such as phthalates — a plasticiser that effects the hormone system — to leach into the animal." Jack continued.

"Had mommy die?" Sydney asked. Jack shook his head.

"I don't know. We never found his dead body."

"I want to find mommy!" Sydney said.

"Yes...one day when your big and strong enough to swim." Jack said.

But Sydney couldn't wait any longer.

One day, when his dad was not home. He started his adventure to find his mommy. He wasn't sure where he should find his mommy. But he kept swimming.

Tiny, spiny plates cover Sydney' bodies all the way down to their curled, flexible tails. His tail can grasp objects, helpful when Sydney want to anchor themselves to vegetation.

Like that day, Sydney almost washed away by strong currents and waves if his tail didn't grasp a white small plastic stick with a cotton on the top. He thought it was his Goddess. He decide to bring that along his journey. Because he wants to give that to his mommy.

When Jack home, he was crying because he couldn't find his son. Now, he is alone without his soulmate and son.