Blaze - A Marvel One-Shot (1)

"And then, Cooper wakes up, like really weird and goes to the bathroom, we think he's going to brush his teeth but all of the sudden he crashes his head against the bathroom mirror."

"Wow!"

"Yeah I know, and then, whoa! Then we see the most frightening thing ever"

"What's that?"

"There, in the broken reflection, there's BOB! Ain't Cooper but BOB! And then he just starts repeating 'How's Annie? How's Annie' over and over. Stuff of nightmares, really."

"That sounds terrifying."

"It is man, it is."

Silence fell inside the van that Steve Rogers and Sam Wilson had been driving now for almost four days straight. The white desert expanded around them in all directions, suffocating their breath, blinding their eyes at the sunlight reflection. Sam is on the wheel.

"So, what happened?" Steve said.

"About what?" Sam said.

"About Cooper. He was possessed by BOB right? How he managed to get rid of him?"

"I don't know."

"You don't know?"

"I don't know. They canceled it."

"Canceled?"

"Yeah, low ratings or something. People man, they don't care about originality, just about novelty."

"That's sad. So we never got to know what the Black Lodge thing was really about?"

"We didn't."

The van kept driving towards the horizon, the sharp contrast of the desert against the blue sky was almost beautiful if not for the heat. Far ahead, as a mirage, the shape of houses and buildings could be seen behind the hot air. A city, or better, a town. A town right in the middle of nowhere in the Midwest of the USA states.

"That must be it." Steve said. A folder with black and white pictures rested on his lap. He opened it, searching within for something that could helped him identify the place that had just appeared in front of his eyes. The list of names had been checked almost in its entirety. Only two places remained. "Cadillac  or Rogerstown, it's one of those."

"Rogerstown... now that's some Twin Peaks irony right there." Sam laughed.

"Let's hope I don't end up like Cooper."

"Are you sure that Intel is good? I mean every other place we have visited has been empty no trace of nothing Hydra anywhere."

"Or maybe we were late, Hydra must be emptying their old safe-houses after what happened. They are on the move." Steve said as he closed the folder.

"Moving stuff and destroying stuff. Remember those couple places we found on the East coast, it was like London after the Blitzkrieg in there."

"Yeah." Steve said. There had been two Hydra installations, that seemed to have been victims of vicious attacks. Who was the responsible for such attacks? That was still a mystery but he had an idea. "Leave me here."

Sam stopped the van right in front of an old fashioned service station that served as an unofficial welcome sign for the town. The engine kept on running.

"Are you sure about this?" Sam said. His face had changed in a glance from his accustomed joyful one. He was visibly worried. "You know, you don't have to do it alone, it might not even be the place."

Steve smiled while getting of the van. "I know Sam, that's why we're going to different places, I know I can trust you on a solo mission."

That got a smile out Sam "I smell bullshit... But yeah, I'll be back as soon as I can, If you get in trouble don't doubt to call me, alright?"

"Alright." Steve said, he walked backwards from the van, saluting his fellow soldier and friend. "I'll be sure to call you."

"Good luck Cap." Sam said, he saluted back and the van kicked off again into the highway. He would be on the road for at least four hours before he would get to Cadillac and check out the place.

Steve saw the van vanishing in the horizon. He put his cap on and walked into town.