Right in Front of Me

I would like to dedicate this story to all of my friends that have been there for me during a tough time. You know who you are :) btw this is a sneak peek of a story I'm working on so please tell me if it sucks or not thanks:D

 I walked over to my two cousins and handed them each a paper plate with a slice of cake on it. As the three of us devoured our dessert, we talked and joked and laughed and had an all-around great time. It was great to spend time with them. I hadn't seen them in six years; their family had driven four and a half hours to come fo rmy little sister Amanda's twelveth birthday.

I didn't think anything could bring me down as I talked and laughed with my cousins.

One of my cousins, Callie, was telling a story about a concert when I felt a vibration in my pocket. I ignored it at first, until I felt it again. Reluctantly, and without interrupting Callie's story, I slipped my phone out of my pocket and opened my messaging app. There were two new texts from my boyfriend, Clint Klinnsman.

Katie, we're done.

I'm sorry.

At those five words, everything shut off around me; the party, my sister, my cousins, all replaced with a painful, deafening silence.

"Katie?" Callie snapped her fingers in front of my face, bringing me back to reality. "You okay?"

"I, uh, yeah. I'm sorry Cal, I, uh, gotta go." And with that I forced my way past all our family and friends and darted up the stairs without even looking back at my cousins.

I ran down the deserted hallway and into my bedroom and, after slamming the door shut, flopped face-down onto my bed.

I had dated a lot of guys in my time at Westminster High, and it had lost me a lot of respect. Now, my only true friend was Jess Munsen. Jess had always been there when I needed him, and he had been my best friend since pre-k. Everyone was convinced we were meant for each other, but we both agreed that that was a disgusting concept.

Anyway, of the many guys I had dated, Clint Klinnsman was the first one I had really, really cared about. He treated me like a princess, and I had fallen hard.

And now it was all over. I had never cried over a boy before, but I was damn close that night.