August 28th, 2007

All I can hear are voices. Not the voices that are around me but my family's. I can hear my brother playing out in the old cotton field with the boy named Jackson that lived in the house next door. My mother trying to call for him saying that supper was ready. I ran out into the field filled with cotton that looked like white fluffy clouds in the sky. I reached out to my little brother, him jumping into my arms. It felt like a million years until when I touched him, I woke up with a startle screaming and yelling filling my ears. "Okay class this assignment is due tomorrow so make sure to read chapter 5 and fill out the worksheet in full sentences! Your not in kindergarten anymore this is high school," my teacher yelled at the top of his lungs trying to get over all the voices in the classroom.

I stood up slowly grabbing my bag and slinging it over my shoulder just like the bags filled with the freshly picked apples, but instead of the rich smell of grass and sweet lavender the smell of despair and teenagers filled my senses. "Ella...can I speak to you for a minute?" I walked over to his desk, standing right in front of my 10th grade teacher. Mr. Deness had a very peculiar look to him. He had shiny brown eyes as well as brown hair slicked down to perfection with what others call hair gel. I call it pine sap because that's what my father would use on my brother whenever we would go somewhere nice. It took forever to washout after the fancy dinners or parties we would go to. Mr.D reminded me of a boy I once met that had the same exact features including the freckles that covered his thin cheeks. "Ella you seem stressed lately and I was wondering if there was anything I could do to help," my teacher stated placing his arms on his desk. "I'm fine Mr. Deness just worried about home that's all." My teacher was startled for a second remembering I had the strangest accent. I was from Britain so I pronounce my vowels differently. 

Mr. Deness sat up in his seat looking up at me his caramel eyes meeting my ocean eyes, "Okay...if you need anything I'm here to help." I started walking towards the door my feet echoing throughout the room. As I stepped into the door way I turned around, "I've heard that from to many people...more than you can fathom." I didn't realize that in the future...he would be one of the people who would set me free.